Forum Thread
Photoshop 8 (Forums : Coding & Scripting : Photoshop 8) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Jul 19 2003 Anchor

I'm not sure how many of you use this application, for those of you who do ... a few screenshots have been leaked (these were originally housed at MacMerc).

User Posted Image
Darkmatter splash screen.

User Posted Image
Filter browser

User Posted Image
File browser

The first thing to note, is that Photoshop 8 and ImageReady 8 have been code-named Dark Matter and Taconite. Tighther integration between the two applications is also to be expected.

The much hyped, and inevitable introduction of a "Filter Browser," will allow users to swith between previews, and apply multiple filters from a single pane. Apparently, a listing of applied filters layers and settings are retained for multiple applications of the same desired effect, over multiple layers. Nested layer sets are also reputedly to be adopted, and the airbrush returned to the floating palette

For those that work heavily with video, integration of advanced color matching tools and the introduction in pixel aspect ratio selection (allowing canvases to be comprised of non-square pixels).

chis
chis Old man.
Jul 19 2003 Anchor

hmm i use photoshop 7 but not very well :D

this looks cool! :P

--

Nothing.

Jul 19 2003 Anchor

Wow I can't wait. I'm a PS junkie myself, this will be badass. Multiple filter testing in one window? SICK!!

Why does that look like a Macintosh? :/

Jul 20 2003 Anchor

Its on the MAC exclusively for a few years isnt it?

--

Why wont it save me?

Jul 20 2003 Anchor

What the hell? No, it can't be. So many PC users buy Photoshop. I will personally pillage the offices of Adobe.

Jul 20 2003 Anchor

40ozFreak wrote: Wow I can't wait. I'm a PS junkie myself, this will be badass. Multiple filter testing in one window? SICK!!

Why does that look like a Macintosh? :/

Errr ... maybe because it's running on a Mac? (Jaguar OS) ;-)

azz0r wrote: Its on the MAC exclusively for a few years isnt it?

No ... not really ... though it's development is heavily tied into IBM's new 64-bit PowerPC processor (as used in the lovely new G5's) . Yes, Photoshop 8 is a 64-bit application, so in it's current state only the new only the new G5's would be able to handle it. However, there will be some sort of legacy support, and for the time being 64-bit applications will be backwardly compatible. Adobe would be crazy not to support 32-bit architecture with Photoshop 8 for Wintel and older Mac users.

Jul 21 2003 Anchor

The new AMD processors coming out are 64-Bit, so maybe we will get our hands on it afterall.

Jul 21 2003 Anchor

Well ... yes, everyone's jumping on the 64-bit bandwagon, from the hardware manufacturers to software programmers. However, such a transition takes time, and there will be support for 32-bit architecture for some time to come. Such advances are only paving the way for a true mainstream introduction. We can't all afford to stay on the cutting edge ;-)

Jul 21 2003 Anchor

Do I need to change my motherboard for 64bit?

Will it be about 2 years before I need to upgrade?

--

Why wont it save me?

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jul 22 2003 Anchor

azz0r wrote: Its on the MAC exclusively for a few years isnt it?

my understanding was that it was coming to a PC first?

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jul 22 2003 Anchor

I heard it was exclusive to mac, then I heard MS had got it exclusively, I dunno -Im confused.

--

Why wont it save me?

Jul 22 2003 Anchor

Adobe would be stupid to deny all their PC-user business, that's a lot of money they'd be losing.

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

Photoshop 8 will be neither Mac or PC exclusive! I haven't read anything to indicate otherwise, and would be very shocked if I did. What are your sources? Like I said before however, it is being developed in conjunction with the new Powermac's and OS X.2 (Jaguar), which I've already mentioned. I don't really know all that much about developing hybrid software, I'm not a programmer!

- Edited By Vyse On Wed 23rd, Jul 2003 @ 7:47:10am

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

azz0r wrote: Do I need to change my motherboard for 64bit?

Will it be about 2 years before I need to upgrade?

Yes you will, though that is usually the case when upgrading to a new generation of CPU. Actually, the Enquirer ran an article on Opteron workstation motherboards earlier this week.

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

azz0r you won't have to worry about any of that right now though, 99% of the world is still 32-bit.

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jul 23 2003 Anchor

All Adobe products started life on the Mac.
I'm not too happy about new Photoshops and PSP's, the world doesn't need any more useless cheating filters.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

Are you trying to seduce me?

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

CheapAlert wrote: All Adobe products started life on the Mac.
I'm not too happy about new Photoshops and PSP's, the world doesn't need any more useless cheating filters.

Useless cheating filters? I defy anyone to cut Photoshop filters out of their workflow altogether, they are integral to the application's working (I'm referring to procedural filters, opposed to those geared towards the creation of "effects.")

So, what do you actually want from the next version? Photoshop is already a very mature application for both print and web work, future advances seem to be moving towards video (the ball already started rolling in version 7).

Jul 23 2003 Anchor

w3rd. Vyse knows what's up. *me slaps hands with Vyse.

I love Photoshop, it's a fantastic suite. Now if they could create more integration with Premiere (video editing like you said Vyse) I would be a happy man.

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jul 24 2003 Anchor

Well...

1. It's overrated
2. It's over-expensive ($500)
3. It's overwarez0red (just everyone but me and hammy-bob has it)
4. It's not an exclusive "painting" application for real artists (PSP5)
5. Crappy brush customization
6. 8-bit color anomalies (PSP5 is much better with 8-bit color)
7. And I see everyone making "Hi-resolution texture remakes" simply by quadrupling the size and slapping a cheap grain filter on each and calling them repaints, and I see that just everywhere. Ick.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

hammy-bob
hammy-bob b0bzied
Jul 24 2003 Anchor

CheapAlert wrote:

so true HAHA :)!! (PAINT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!)

- Edited By hammy-bob On Thu 24th, Jul 2003 @ 4:24:44pm

--

Grammar is my worst enemy along with flying chairs.

User Posted Image

chis
chis Old man.
Jul 24 2003 Anchor

me a warez person :P

/me runs in shame

--

Nothing.

Jul 25 2003 Anchor

/me throws Pointy Stick™ at cHIs.

Jul 26 2003 Anchor

CheapAlert wrote: Well...

1. It's overrated
2. It's over-expensive ($500)
4. It's not an exclusive "painting" application for real artists (PSP5)
5. Crappy brush customization
6. 8-bit color anomalies (PSP5 is much better with 8-bit color)
7. And I see everyone making "Hi-resolution texture remakes" simply by quadrupling the size and slapping a cheap grain filter on each and calling them repaints, and I see that just everywhere. Ick.

Well, I don't really agree what you've said ... and comparisons between the two programs have been done to death. So, yes, I did indeed begin my foray into the world of digital art briefly with Paintshop Pro (as a method of colouring line-art, inspired by the works of Masamune Shirow and other such contemporay cross-media artists). Later I progressed onto Photoshop, as a pre-requisite to starting college (and yes, not as an actual software need, I was adopting it as a supposed "industry standard".) However Photoshop has grown to become second nature to me, and feels far more intuitive than Paintshop Pro ever was. Photoshop is a far more robust solution. Granted, Paintshop Pro is able to recreate alot of what is possible, but with a little more effort (unless you're venturing into print work, and CYMK settings). Colour management and workflow seem to be the areas in which Photoshop excels over its competitors (and I'm sure you dont get the same level of control over histogram calculations in Paintshop Pro). It seems to be a far more effcient program, allowing work with more complicated images as a result of refined algorithms.

1 & 2) Yes it's expensive, indeed. However it's not really intended for the home user, it's a professional package. Not enough has been done towards student licensing , however Adobe have made an effort to cater for lower end users with Elements.

3) Warez? This is not Photoshop specific, you could apply the same argument to Paintshop Pro, couldn't you?

4) Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you are looking for re-creation of natural media, personally, there is no real competition to Painter. You can get it fairly cheap on a student licence, or through eBay (avoid the Classic version packaged with the higher end Wacom's though). I'm currently using v7, and have dabbled with the demo of v8: a far more intuitive interface has been employed (though I won't be upgrading).

5) Actually, Version 7 overhauled the brush system, and for what it is, it's a flexible solution. You have complete control over your brush tip, from basic settings such as shape, size and tilt to jitter, wet edges, the application of a texture to a stroke, control of colour dynamics, combining brush-strokes etc. And of course it also provides facilities for pressure sensitivite tablets, for control of tip size and opacity. Now, I havent seen the latest release of Paintshop Pro, however I doubt the brush toolset is quite as advanced as the one now present in Photoshop!

6) Care to expand on that? Examples if possible ...

7) That's not a problem inherent with the package, it's a problem with those using it. The same could probably said for a portion of Paintshop Pro users.

I'm not saying Paintshop Pro is a bad package, I'm simply attempting to defend Photoshop as an image editing tool. It's an excellent package ... though maybe not the best choice for everyone. But it works for me, and that's all that really matters. It's simply a tool ... it's up to the artist to provide the creative input.

- Edited By Vyse On Sat 26th, Jul 2003 @ 5:17:58pm

Jul 28 2003 Anchor

Photoshop has no real disadvantages that aren't in direct relation to the skill of the user. Most of the warezing and n00b production happens in PSP just as often as PS.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.