Forum Thread
half-life modelling question (Forums : Development Banter : half-life modelling question) Locked
Thread Options
May 30 2003 Anchor

I have a half-life modelling question. Is there any plugin/way to import .SMD/MDL models into 3DS Max. I tried milkshape 3d but that wont export the bones. I need some help thanks.

--

User Posted Image

visit the forum Worldwar3d.com?

hammy-bob
hammy-bob b0bzied
May 30 2003 Anchor

ya theres a way i think something comes with hl sdk

- Edited By hammy-bob On Fri 30th, May 2003 @ 9:28:52pm

--

Grammar is my worst enemy along with flying chairs.

User Posted Image

May 30 2003 Anchor

hopefully i'm downloading that now.

--

User Posted Image

visit the forum Worldwar3d.com?

Jul 30 2003 Anchor

You need to download a model decompiler; theres one at Collective.valve-erc.com or you can download it off me. Freewebs.com

You also need to download the MAXscript that will let you import .SMD files. (SMD files are created by the model decompiler).
Freewebs.com

Theres self-explanitory readme's with those files. You shouldn't have any problems. :)

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jul 30 2003 Anchor

The best one I know of is the one built into MS3D.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jul 30 2003 Anchor

i have a plugin

--

STILL BAD, STILL BALLIN'
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Jul 31 2003 Anchor

You have to understand that the .mdl format isn't a model in itself, its a compilation of a model and its sequences. Simply importing it into 3dsmax or ms3d won't work properly. You have to decompile the .mdl and load its .smd files in the 3d programs. Once you've done your thing, recompile them/export them back to .mdl format and voila!

Jul 31 2003 Anchor

negative, there was a max thing that actually allowed you to do that, it was like hlmdlv, but it could decompile and do stuff like that

--

STILL BAD, STILL BALLIN'
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.