Forum Thread
An open letter to all mod-makers and game designers. (Forums : Development Banter : An open letter to all mod-makers and game designers.) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
EdgeFilm
EdgeFilm Birthstar Creator
Jan 18 2005 Anchor

My name is Matt Collins. I am a filmmaker and screenwriter living in Los Angeles and I need your help. My partner, David Carson (director of “Star Trek: Generations“) and I have been developing a science fiction universe called “Birthstar” for the Sci Fi Channel over the past few months. During the development phase it was suggested to us that this premise might make an incredible video game. I began to focus on how this could become just that.
In its present state, “Birthstar: Frontline,” has the potential to be the next great gaming IP. It is essentially like “Platoon” in space. Hyper-realistic gameplay similar to “Ghost Recon” or “Rainbow Six” with the intensity and scale of “Call of Duty” wrapped in a gritty far-future science fiction setting. It will also be the first game to incorporate sixteen-player cooperative play into the game’s story with unique characters each with their individual roles in the military unit that is the focus of the game’s story. Needless to say, it is an ambitious project that has the potential to revolutionize how games are made. There are many more features to the game that I’m not about to expound on here.
Having been consulting with Seamus Blackley (inventor of the X-Box) and Larry Shapiro (President of EA Australia) who are now heading up the gaming department at our agency, they suggested we create a demo of the game in order to coax investors into funding the full project. The way to create this demo? Modding of course. They literally handed me a copy of UT 2004 and said, “get modding.” Now, I’m a big gamer, but I am in no way a game-maker. Even the seemingly simple Unreal Editor flew way over my head. This brings me to my purpose here.
Edge Media, our company, wants to put together a group of skilled designers, coders, skinners and artists to create the first mission of this game for the purpose of raising money to finish it. At that point, those who had worked on the demo level will have the opportunity to be a part of the full game. We have many contacts in the film industry but none in the gaming industry and we have come across the harsh reality of the gaming industry’s aversion to outsiders creating games. Even David Fincher is having trouble getting his game made. We will also need someone as a ringleader for the project who knows how to organize and disseminate a modding coalition. This is initially a not-for-profit venture but has the potential to catapult us into a very different situation.
I am very serious and passionate about this game, having played it through in my head a countless number of times. If anyone is curious or interested in being a part of this project, or simply has some advice for us, contact us at the following email address: edgefilm2001@hotmail.com.
We are looking for all kinds of artists to help us on this ambitious venture and would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on our intentions. I'll be bumping this post just to make sure everyone has a chance to see it. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Matthew Collins
CEO, Edge Media

--

User Posted Image

There's No Kill Like Overkill

itachi_
itachi_ Birthstar: Frontline
Jan 18 2005 Anchor

Sent you an e-mail under rdaly23@gmail.com.

Edited by: itachi_

embers.
embers. I'm a lumberjack....
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

you brought up some random names together there, you have no website and your using hotmail.com. And it seems like this would be a paid job which means ur gonna pay a bunch of <18 yr olds to make a full retail game?

smells fishy...

Edited by: embers.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

A curious concept, although potentially, I think you would do better to provide a little more information over the project itself - themes etc, what is required. I understand that there may be legal boundaries and what-not getting in the way, but a lack of information will yield a lack of truly experienced staff.
Also, you can get a lot of useful response from the International Game Developers Association - Igda.org

itachi_
itachi_ Birthstar: Frontline
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

he didn't say anything about payment yet embers, there ARE mature modders out there, especially in the unreal community, and espECIALLY not on moddb.com.

GFJ
GFJ
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

If he really makes it, I hope it will also be available for mac...

Crispy
Crispy Professional Games Tester
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Make a website with more information, I'd say. If you really are representing a company you'll have enough funds to put a site up for these purposes, giving more information about the gameplay. You need to put together a formal design document. This should be a report style doc with headings such as:

Storyline - Say as much as you can
Gameplay - How it is designed to be played. e.g. legging it around with rockets, or tactical etc.
Weapons - What weapons you will have (if any), how they will work and how accurate/powerful they will be
Classes (If you are going to have them)
Vehicles - again, if you want them in
Equipment - What each bit is and what it does, for example med packs

That was some information that someone posted in a forum somewhere that I saved because it was talking sense. It needs to be a lot more detailed and is missing a few sections. Even if you don't show the Doc to people before recuiting, it puts all of the game elements down in a clear format and could serve as a point of reference for you and your team.

BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

There is no need for him to make a site for this when he needs a dedicated staff to make it. Yes I agree with you if he is serious and for real that he should pay for the hosting and and site design from a nice designer. Ill keep an eye on this for he posted this on our site.

I have sent this link to the forum thread to a couple UT fan sites since they follow UT more then I or some of the moddb staff. If you join the project "PLEASE" keep me updated so I can help promote this.

I must say if this is a joke I will delete the thread and ban the people involved.

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Pxtl
Pxtl Lord of the Files
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Here's my open letter to all mod developers:

Design the friggin' gameplay first. I don't care if your setting is about Jesus fighting Cthulhu on the planet of the Cthorr, I want to hear what you'll be doing with the physics first. Hell _implement_ the friggin' gameplay first, or else you'll be in alpha-hell until 3 engines later.

Lomo93901
Lomo93901 Get back to work!
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Sounds rather fishy. it's a good idea, but too vague of a description.

I demand a design document.

Leonardo-DiVinci
Leonardo-DiVinci UDK Megatkoyo-2041 Project
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

EdgeFilm wrote: My name is Matt Collins. I am a filmmaker and screenwriter living in Los Angeles,

Matthew Collins
CEO, Edge Media

you do this then?
Undergroundfilm.org
Studentfilms.com
and Maybe This? Oo;;;
Rockyhorror.org

Sorry not trying to be a ass, but am being very careful on something like this. Usually one would approach the admin and staff before posting something like what you're asking to get coverage. Just like they did at polycount.Then At the same day of the Announcement of the project then a thread like this would go up. SO like I said not trying to be a ass about it just playing it. "Safe" I noticed your profile no gender,age,location not even PC Specs and one post. You *might* be in irvine or at least that is what is pointed out on your host section on your profile. But This just seems really leary.

Edited by: Leonardo-DiVinci

--

User Posted Image

declinsion
declinsion Wall Scibbler
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Lomo93901 wrote: Sounds rather fishy. it's a good idea, but too vague of a description.

I demand a design document.

Get back to work!

Lomo93901
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

declinsion wrote:

GET BACK TO WORK!

o\_/o

declinsion
declinsion Wall Scibbler
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Lomo93901 wrote:
GET BACK TO WORK!

o\_/o

I can't, I'm at school. But I'm a TA in 4th period, which really means I just surf the net.

Lomo93901
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

bah. Excuses!

I have school!

I don't have any time!

I have cancer!

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Lomo93901 wrote: bah. Excuses!

I have school!

I don't have any time!

I have cancer!

I do smell!

:lol:

BlueWolf72
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

stop spamming..................

--

Desura Contests Live!

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

dEaThMaStEr
dEaThMaStEr modDB Pile of Twigs
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

i dunno, with the names he listed as people he consulted with, and description of himself, then as mentioned, having no website and using hotmail.. Definatly seems very fishy to me. Could always be tryin to put up an act. Get people to work for em as he bullshits ya, then when people make mod content for him, he nabs it and runs off with a complete mod he calls his own. I'd be verry careful here.

EdgeFilm
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Thank you all for your advice and your skepticism. It is warranted, let’s be honest. This doesn’t happen every day. I didn’t write that Rocky script though.

However, my partner and I are very serious about this project, I can assure you of that. Being from the world of film though, we have no idea where to even begin with a venture like this. That is why I am here, to find people that can help us get this project moving or at the very least guide us in the right direction. That is also why we have no website, because, well, I have no idea how to make one and nor the budget to pay anyone to make one.

There is a work-in-progress design doc that is about to break 200 pages and the story is laid out for this game and thus far two sequels (in case we get picked up as a franchise). Weapons, vehicles and characters are outlined and each have been given a rudimentary design sketch. This does not mean however, it is etched in stone. We always welcome creative input. The reason why I have not published it is simply that it would be legally irresponsible to do so in a public forum such as this. There are several aspects of the extensive gameplay mechanics that have as of yet never been attempted in game-making and although it is fully copyrighted and registered with the WGA, why take the risk in divulging them here?

As I said, if anyone wishes to be a part of this project or lend any advice, please send an email to the address above. Again, the demo portion of this project is not-for-profit and will be used to raise the budget necessary to complete the game in its entirety. Those involved with the demo portion of the project will have the opportunity to retain their positions for the final product (and thus be legally employed and compensated).

I am currently consulting with several web designers but so far none have been able to offer a price that suits our shoe-string budget. As soon as we have one up, even a rudimentary one, I will post it here.

Sincerely,

Matthew Collins
CEO, Edge Media

--

User Posted Image

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

why can't you provide a little insight in what people are up to? nobody likes buying cats in a sack especially if the cat looks like a monstrous sabertooth tigre... and also, what that 'legal irresposible' thingy all about? and then... the demo is non-profit, the full game not... where is that leaving the people involved? will they be stripped after it takes off (if it does)? will they have any benefit of it? or are they just here for doing the work for you?

sounds like 007 top secret game project but without some insight it smells fishy, no matter how often you ponder on your iron will to pull this through. you need to open up a bit to attract people.

BlueWolf72
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Lets allow him to work out the details and what not of his project before we judge. He means well....Most the fakes dont come back to explain the first fake post they made. No more spamming about how this can be fake or fishy. If you cant help or do have the time dont post anything. If you have ideas and input that is in the right direction for him and his company please post your info.

No need to keep this thread going with spam so let this be your final warning.

PS: To get a good team and staff you will need a

Leader = Lead mapper/coder
Lead Coder
Lead Modeler
Lead Mappper

If you are seriously going the UT2k4 engine google UT2k4 or Unreal Tournament news on google.com and you will find fan sites for UT2k4 and UT2k3 and email them your info looking for a team and this will better your chances!

--

Desura Contests Live!

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Lomo93901
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Maybe understandable about keeping game secrets secrets to A) prevent competition and B) keep from giving out spoilers to potential players. But there are other legalities involved in this, such as artist rights and royalties.

But, if you want people interested, as well as convince them that you are serious, we will be needing something more convincing than a hotmail email account. As a film maker (and myself being a cinematographer) you should understand the importance of marketing an idea to an unconvinced audience. If it is brilliant in your mind we need to see that brilliance as well. And some proof that you are who you say you are. You would have been better off not saying your name on these forums.

And I don't mean this in any rude shape. The idea is good, but we need something more material to show that more thought has gone into this than a few paragraphs of text. A webpage, a design document (Which you say is in the works, but this could also be a simpler one for a more public prospect i.e. these forums) as well as concept art, sample dialogue, a more convincing email address, and a fully prepared demonstration of what you have in mind, such as a short story.

My own mod, a sci-fi horror FPS for HL2 took well over a year of conceptions in my head before I could write up a convincing background to get people interested. And now I have a rapidly growing team of highly skilled individuals.

Now is the part that you have to pass the test of the devil's advocate(s), and convince us that this will work with something to make us go 'jeeze, this guy is serious'

And also the issue with non-profit...will the people in this demo work for free then continue onwards in the main gaming project with an expected income since the game is intended to make a profit? If not, why?

Does edge media have a website? Can there be given 'some sign' on said website about the game idea/show you have?

I am remaining skeptical, for now. If you were in my place, what would you think?

EDIT: Sorry, wolf. You posted while I was writing this.

Edited by: Lomo93901

BlueWolf72
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Since Lomo followed the rules of being fair and nice Ill leave his post but as I stated before.

No more posts about being skeptical. He gets the point and Im keeping my eye on this and EdgeFilm has agreed to keep me updated.

www.planetunreal.com try to get them to post some news to help you get a team started!

--

Desura Contests Live!

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

Lomo93901
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

Some advise for you in promoting a mod:

1. Remember that you mod is the best thing since sliced bread, so make it sound that way.

2. Lurk. The best way to get mod members in a community like this is by making some friends. Look at other forums posts, look at mods. Leave feedback, show that you are not just 'interesting' but 'interested', as this is a learning experience.

3. Updates. Even if one of your mod members made a small little change or alteration, announce it proudly on your site or on your moddb page (but don't post too much on the main page, that can get people riled up)

4. Google is your best friend. Always keep looking for informations about modding, and don't just look to modding site for help, either. Look into coding forums for coders, modelling forums for modellers, deviantart for concept art, never stop moving. Keep in mind that if you do nothing, your modders do nothing.

5. Show your dedication in your words and on your website. Keep it clean and presentable, watch the spelling and grammar, and make the site as easy on the eyes and beautiful as you can (or look for a web designer for that job)

There are other jobs for a mod that wolf didn't mention. Though not as critical as the foundation team members he listed, still vital.

Public Relations. This is usually the mod leader's job. He has to promote the game everywhere he can to build up a buzz, and lurk other forums and BBS boards and chatrooms to keep everyone informed on how things are going, how excited you are, and people gush over wireframes and models and promptional videos and wallpapers.

Storyline writer: very simple. They take the story concept and turn it into the script for the games' progress. These are usually transformed into the walkthrough once the game is finished (for those clever, not all do this)

Concept Artist(s). This is another somewhat important feature. Usually if you plan for a total conversion, you need people to draw new races, vehicles, craft, planets, ship interior layout samples and the like. In my team I have two concept artists, each one representing their strongest points in anatomy and forms to flesh out the characters, lure in modellers, and raise public interest.

I hope this helps you out a bit more.

Also, people on your team have an easier time working with you if you understand even a little bit about everything. Makes communication easier if you understand the issues they're talking about.

Edited by: Lomo93901

EdgeFilm
Jan 19 2005 Anchor

I've heard what you've had to say and in order to try and give you a clearer picture of our intentions: here are a few excerpts from the Birthstar: Frontline proposal for your reading pleasure.

"Who will you be? Where will you go? How will you fight?

Birthstar: Frontline will be the most advanced, intense and original interactive experience ever conceived. With elements of first-person shooters, tactical simulators, real-time strategy, stealth action and role-playing games, Frontline is “Band of Brothers” on Sci-Fi steroids.
With a choice of sixteen unique and enigmatic characters to choose from, the story of Frontline will take players to all four corners of the galaxy, taking part in a massive war to end all wars. You play as a member of a Unified Core Systems special forces platoon code-named “Tango-88.” As any of the sixteen members, from the team leader to the medic, from the sniper to the tank buster, the player will have there own responsibilities to the platoon and to the war itself.
When the Tusten Confederation, a human empire in the outer spiral arm, decide that they are the rightful overseers of Planet Earth, they begin a bloody pilgrimage across the galaxy, destroying and absorbing all the other nations in their path until they reach the border of the Herald Republic, where a stalemate ensues. With the Republic’s defense grid crumbling, they call upon the mightiest of nations, the Unified Core Systems, to help reinforce them and drive the Tustens back to their homeworlds.
Meanwhile, unbeknownst to humanity, a massive alien race that will later become known as the Epochrifah, have been hunting the universe for humanity for billions of years. This massive war has caught their attention and has shown them the way to what they call “The Throne.” What this means, time will only tell and what they are really after, is a mystery that dates back to before humans even existed. The Epochrifah launch a massive multi-armed attack on the whole of humanity which force the human empires to put aside their own bloody conflict and focus on defending themselves from this overwhelming force. Frontline will take place during the last few months of the Tusten conflict and the beginning of the Epochrifahn war.
As with many games that take place in a realistic era, such as WW2, Vietnam or modern day, Frontline will focus on highly realistic combat and occurrences, illustrating the chaos and horror of war, but magnified in an extreme science-fiction setting. So while the world of Frontline will be new to the player, the gameplay will be readily accessible."

"There is a progression in the industry for the synthesis of games and films. There are many major differences between the two story-telling mediums, one of the most notable is how an audience interacts with the story. In a game, a single person experiences the story on an interactive level, whereas an observer has a very passive, often unfulfilling experience. Films however, are enjoyed on the same basic level of interactivity by all their observers.
Frontline will succeed in allowing a group of people to enjoy a game on the same level of interactivity throughout the story, together.
Frontline is about the bond shared between human beings in combat. It is about working together for common goals: survival and victory. It will give players an experience they’ve never before known with a freedom only dreamed of in the world of gaming. From the open-endedness of the way players can choose to tackle a mission, to the cooperative play that can support sixteen players through the story of the game, all together with the deepest multi-player of any game and an AI system that is leaps and bounds beyond anything that has ever been attempted, Frontline is truly at the front line of gaming."

Hope that gives a clearer indication. As soon as I feel it is ready (and when we've chosen an engine), I will submit the mod to Moddb.

Sincerely,

Matthew Collins
CEO, Edge Media

--

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.