Forum Thread
Blender 3D (Forums : Coding & Scripting : Blender 3D) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
nervousquirrel
nervousquirrel Firefight Project - Lead
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

I've just learned about the open source 3D Program called Blender for making models. I wanna know if anyone here has heard of it before, if it is any good, and if it can be used to create content for my HL2 Mod, the Firefight Project.

Thanks.

EDIT: It's been about 3 months since I started this thread, and I've found Blender 3D to be a great program both for it's price (free) and its power as 3D Modeling software. It is capable of everything that you need to edit HL2.

Read: you need the new export script being made by Dragonlord, click here).

Edited by (in order): nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel, nervousquirrel

Adam_S
Adam_S Real Englishman
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

I've heard of it, tried to use it.. but found it too confusing , so I uninstalled it. I'm gonna re-download it now. Now I'm a more experienced modeller.. I might understand it :)

In addition, nice mod idea. Could be interesting.

Also in addition.. I'm a weapon modeller. So I could lend you a hand in that department. :)

MSN is exostatic145@hotmail.com.

EDIT :

It's damn hard to use. Find something easier like MilkShape 3D then purchase it or something.
Or get someone like me with 3DS MAX to get some weapon models made for you.

Edited by (in order): Adam_S, Adam_S

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

you kidding, i model with blender ALL THE TIME, and once you get the hang of the basic interface functions, it's on you like an easy walk.

Trust me, I switched from milkshape to blender and never turned back since, I model ALOT better now, and faster! I experienced Milkshape from 1999 to 2004, until I switched.

Shadowdragon and dragonlord will tell you how great blender is.

it's great for low poly modeling, like this 666 triangle gargoyle
User Posted Image

and good for medium poly too, and it supports quads! (unlike milkshait)
User Posted Image

--

<  insert subject games here  >

ImTheDarkcyde
ImTheDarkcyde ¯\(º_o)/¯
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

blender is hella easy, even i can use it

blender is like C++, and all the others are like C.

C++ is superior, but harder to learn if you have all the bad habits of a C programmer.

odd, using a programming metaphor for models.

Mauvebib
Mauvebib Swallow My Pride
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

I prefer GMAX myself, I too found the blender interface to be very counter-intuitive.

--

Defeat in Detail 2 - Standalone RTS Game
Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Jul 2 2005 Anchor

blender is good, but where can u get an exporter for hl2?

--

|_( hp )¯| p00nst3r

nervousquirrel
Jul 2 2005 Anchor

Adamn_S we need modelers, so by all means get in contact with me about that. On that note I'd like to advertise that we are currently looking for character modelers to help with this project.

About Blender, it seems people are split with regards to whether or not it is any good. In any case, can it be used for HL2?

Jul 2 2005 Anchor

there is a way, u have to export it to a 3ds max file and import that file into Milkshape 3D and then use that to export into a usable HL2 mdl file, but as far as I know theres no other way, but I might be wrong, so thats why i asked in my previous post.

btw milkshape costs $20 and i dno if the import/export functions still work after the trial has expired. im guessing that it wont.

--

|_( hp )¯| p00nst3r

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

somebody just has to write a Python plugin for HL2, simply as that... only problem: are the file-format specs open available or not?

Jul 3 2005 Anchor

XSI > Blender by far.

When I started modelling I found Blender the hardest for naivgation and workflow (especially for a beginner) and I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Then picked up a copy of XSI and boom! It's a fantastic program with everything you could ever want. Tell me one thing that Blender has over XSI...

nervousquirrel
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

I tried XSI, but the problem is my monitor can't go over 1024x768, so I can't even see the hole program interface. It's about the lamest problem I've ever had running a program.

Dragonlord
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

MonkOnFire wrote: XSI > Blender by far.

When I started modelling I found Blender the hardest for naivgation and workflow (especially for a beginner) and I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Then picked up a copy of XSI and boom! It's a fantastic program with everything you could ever want. Tell me one thing that Blender has over XSI...

i've not really worked with XSI yet but the interface already pushes me away. and one thing blender puts apart from any other app out there IS the workflow and layout. you can arrange your screen panels (1, 2, 10, 100, whatever you want) in the way you can work like a lightning bolt. in all other apps you have to juggle with your mouse to operate the app or do crazy shortcuts which make your hand fall off after short time. in blender you work with one hand on the keyboartd pressing not more than ONE KEY AT THE TIME and one hand on the mouse. it's not like working a cubersome app... it's like gliding on a supersonic plane there... if somebody uses blender correctly and knows the simple one-key shortcuts he's working like hell fast: no compare to this.

Jul 3 2005 Anchor

Yah sounds similar to XSI's navigation. For example:

s + 1st Mouse = Pan/Move Tool
S + 2nd Mouse = Orbit Tool
S + Wheel Click = Dolly/Zoom Tool

C = Rotate Tool
V = Translate Tool
X = Scale Tool

T = Select Point Tool
I = Select Edge Tool
U = Select Polygon Tool

M = Move Point Tool
N = Create Polygon Tool
\ = Create Edge Tool
Insert = Move Point Tool

Ctrl when in 'M' mode = Medge Point Tool
Shift + D = Subdivide Polygon/Edge

So I guess its just a matter of how you prefer to work...

Dragonlord
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

MonkOnFire wrote: Yah sounds similar to XSI's navigation. For example:

s + 1st Mouse = Pan/Move Tool
S + 2nd Mouse = Orbit Tool
S + Wheel Click = Dolly/Zoom Tool

C = Rotate Tool
V = Translate Tool
X = Scale Tool

T = Select Point Tool
I = Select Edge Tool
U = Select Polygon Tool

M = Move Point Tool
N = Create Polygon Tool
\ = Create Edge Tool
Insert = Move Point Tool

Ctrl when in 'M' mode = Medge Point Tool
Shift + D = Subdivide Polygon/Edge

So I guess its just a matter of how you prefer to work...

nope. you are wrong here. what you do there is switching around tool and then you always need to hit your mouse button to do the acutal movement. this is not the case in blender. hit ONE KEY and you ARE actually doing the action.
G => move selection
G, X/Y/Z => move with lock to axis specified
S => scale selection
S, X/Y/Z => scale with lock to axis specified
R => rotate selection
R, X/Y/Z => rotate with lock to axis specified
B => box select
B, B => circle select
E => extrude selection
A => select/deselect all
W => subdivide edges
TAB => switch object/edit mode

the good thing: you never stumble around in 'work modes' or 'toolsets'. it's all in one and flows into each other.

Jul 3 2005 Anchor

Dragonlord wrote: somebody just has to write a Python plugin for HL2, simply as that... only problem: are the file-format specs open available or not?

they should be, since blender is open source but i wouldnt know for sure

I would use XSI, but it crashes everytime i open it

Edited by: -hp-

--

|_( hp )¯| p00nst3r

Adam_S
Adam_S Real Englishman
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

I'd use XSI but it's 560 MB download and on 56k that's gonna take a fair long time :P

nervousquirrel
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

so like... go blender? :confused:

Adam_S
Adam_S Real Englishman
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

It depends. XSI certainly seems easier to use, coming from what these guys say. It all depends on how much time you are willing to put into learning the interface of either program and learning the shortcuts etc...

Dragonlord
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

Hp-P00nst3r wrote:

Dragonlord wrote: somebody just has to write a Python plugin for HL2, simply as that... only problem: are the file-format specs open available or not?

they should be, since blender is open source but i wouldnt know for sure

I would use XSI, but it crashes everytime i open it

i don't talk of blender itself here. i already wrote plugins for it so that's not a big deal. question is if the HL2 model format specs are open available. in this case it would be a piece-of-cake to implement an export script.

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

the .smd files (reference meshes w/ skeleton and sequences) are ascii, they can be read in notepad and can sorta be udnerstood.

It wouldn't take too long for Blender to do import/export plugins with HL1 and HL2 SMD's. (Hl2 smd's are just the same, but with added vertex weights, and blender supports those)

Btw I wouldn't really call XSI free, as they prompt for personal information and crazy crap like that.

Blender can do amazing things like this, so don't underestimate what the small, 5mb free cross-platform program can do :D

Edited by (in order): leilei, leilei, leilei, leilei

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jul 3 2005 Anchor

Blender is free as in FREEDOM

if some1 obtains an import/export thing for HL2 with blender please contact me!

Edited by: -hp-

--

|_( hp )¯| p00nst3r

Dragonlord
Jul 3 2005 Anchor

cheapy send me some example .smd files... an export plugin should not be that difficult... import will suck though ^_^

nervousquirrel
Jul 4 2005 Anchor

Ok, I finally started up with Blener and so far I like it, though i am a noob with modeling. Now, I just want to know how to somehow get it into HL2.

Someone said to do this... export in 3ds max format, then load it in Milkshape and save it as a file or HL2. Is this possible? If it is, I would go through the trouble no problem. Also, would that mess up the model at all... like, is Milkshape capable of handleing the kind of model that HL2 requires (i.e. more polys, perhaps greater animation detail, etc...)?

nervousquirrel
Jul 4 2005 Anchor

Dragonlord wrote: cheapy send me some example .smd files... an export plugin should not be that difficult... import will suck though ^_^

are you saying that you're going to make a plugin for Blender to export to HL2 format? (what format is that exactly?)

Dragonlord
Jul 4 2005 Anchor

nervousquirrel wrote:

Dragonlord wrote: cheapy send me some example .smd files... an export plugin should not be that difficult... import will suck though ^_^

are you saying that you're going to make a plugin for Blender to export to HL2 format? (what format is that exactly?)

i would consider it a possiblity that i do so. i just lack time as tomorrow i enter military service and i'm very restricted in my spare time. but i'll take the .smd files with me on my laptop and i'll see if i can cook up something. i would just need people to test it as i don't have the means for that there.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.