Forum Thread
White Epsilon - Half-Life 2 RTS TC [coders & modelers] (Forums : Development Banter : White Epsilon - Half-Life 2 RTS TC [coders & modelers]) Locked
Thread Options
methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

User Posted Image

Team name:
AVE

Project name:
White Epsilon

Brief description:
White Epsilon is a Cold War era RTS total conversion for Half-Life 2. It uses a unique gameplay mechanic to give more depth of strategy into the hands of the player. White-Epsilon has been under development for about two months, with design and pre-production stretching back further than that. White Epsilon uses the power of the Source engine to power a new generation of RTS gameplay, including the whole world, where international relations are paramount to research and military prowess.

Talent Needed:
Modeler:
A modeler should be experienced in modeling for games, and have a strong grasp on low polygon modeling. White Epsilon is a game with a high graphical standard, so models should maintain quality, without excessive polygon counts.

Prerequisites:
*Experience in a half-life 2 supported graphics suite, including XSI, 3D Studio MAX and Maya.
*Strong grasp of low-polygon modeling techniques.
*Ability to model from concept art and design documents.
*Good sense of humor and team spirit

The ideal candidate would have:
*Experience in 3D Studio MAX modeling for the Source engine, including the creation of complex physics and rag-doll models, including breakable meshes. -Ability to use design documents and internet resources to create own concept art.
*Experience in unwrapping and texturing models, as well as rigging and animating.
*Good work ethic and the ability to work quickly and efficiently to deadlines.

All requisites are negotiable, but if you are going to negotiate a core prerequisite, there should be a good reason. An applicant should have a portfolio with still renders to show, as well as short animations (no more than 500kb) if they wish to expose animation skills.

Coder:
As White Epsilon is modifying the Source engine to suit the RTS genre, a lot of extra coding will be needed. Coders should be experienced in coding for Source, and should have had previous experience creating mods for Half-Life 2.

Prerequisites:
*Experience in coding for Source, including modifying and creating new files for use in Half-Life 2 creation.
*Owner of a Microsoft® Visual Studio™ .NET license, suitable for editing and creating files for source.

The ideal candidate would have:
*Experience modifying the core concepts of the Source engine, such as the camera system.
*Experience with the VGUI 2 library. Familiar with using this library to edit the Source GUI.

Coders are sought after for many mods and game projects. White Epsilon already has a member who has experience with coding for Source, and is seeking another to expand upon our skills.

Requisites are only negotiable if there is a very good reason. Applicants should have a portfolio of source code and a list of other Half-Life 2 mods they have worked on and what they did.

Team structure:
Mod Leader:
Name: Django Merope-Synge
Nickname: Methulah
Jobs: Lead Design, PR, Coding, Mapping, Minimal Art and anything else that should be here.

Part Time 3D Artist:
Name: Miles Leggett
Nickname: HuNTeR
Jobs: Part time 3D Modeling

White-epsilon.com

Contacts:
email: django@white-epsilon.com
forums: www.white-epsilon.com/forum/

Additional Info:
[modimg30249 NOT FOUND]
White Epsilon is a Half-Life 2 total conversion that uses the powerful Source engine to create an RTS like no other.

White Epsilon is set in Berlin, towards the end of the Cold War. Military advancements had soared in the last fifty years, and world was on the brink of a Nuclear Apocalypse. Unbeknownst to many people, direct military conflict was playing out in Berlin, as the West German forces fought the Soviet Union, who in turn warred with the USA.

White Epsilon features a type of gameplay never seen before in RTS games, where having troops is not enough, but training and equipping them is far more important.

As could be expected in a Cold War era mod, technological advances are paramount to success. White Epsilon encourages you to reach for the sky, and further. With the possibility to launch to space, using Spy Satellites and Laser Missile Defense programs to defend yourself, White Epsilon gives you more choice.

The three teams that make up White Epsilon all have very different roles and specializations. For victory, it is necessary to use technology and military force to overcome your enemies. All teams have the power to excel at both of these, in different ways. The three perfectly balanced teams accommodate for all playing styles. What one team might lack in one area, it will make up in another. A strong economy and a global marketplace add to create a style of RTS gaming that has never been seen before.

Combat takes place in a fully destructible urban setting. Snipers can get inside buildings, and demolitions can blow them up. Use the bleeding edge of technology, such as F-117 stealth fighters. Create huge research labs, manned by scores of physicists and create the device the Cold War was based upon – the nuclear bomb. Once you have the power, you have to think before you use it. Should you strike at important enemy targets, thus weakening your enemy's economy?

Edited by (in order): methy, methy, methy

Mauvebib
Mauvebib Swallow My Pride
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

As much as I like this idea, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a coder good enough who isn't already working on his own project.

Speaking as someone who has made several RTS games on FPS engines, I know just how difficult it is.

--

Defeat in Detail 2 - Standalone RTS Game
Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Qwertyz
Qwertyz Mapper/Web Designer
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

Mauvebib wrote: Speaking as someone who has made several RTS games on FPS engines, I know just how difficult it is.

Why dont you do it then.

Edited by (in order): Qwertyz, Qwertyz, Qwertyz

_eXiGe_
_eXiGe_ PoN founder & leader
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

I'm guessing the coder in natuarl selection have to be an 1337 h4xor to make the commander view rts-view from the hl1 engine, so good luck finding such a good coder :l.

Mauvebib
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

Qwertyz wrote:

Mauvebib wrote: Speaking as someone who has made several RTS games on FPS engines, I know just how difficult it is.

Why dont you do it then.

Firstly because I have no experience with the HL2 sdk, secondly because I, like most coders, have my own projects to work on.

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

Sep 11 2005 Anchor

Maybe Half-Life would get more coders if it would be ported to Linux. :P

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

Spark wrote: Maybe Half-Life would get more coders if it would be ported to Linux. :P

no chance. hl is dominated by Direct-X and dlls. both not portable to unix without doing it right before hand (which has not been done here)

methy
Sep 11 2005 Anchor

Wasn't the GldSrc engine (Half-Life 1) for OpenGL?

Anyway, it may help to know that I am a "sort-of" coder and have already written the code to change the camera, though it does need refining. This could be an easier job for an artist than mosgt Half-Life 2 mods though.

Anyway, all those intersted.

BKlegend
BKlegend You're in a stroller
Sep 13 2005 Anchor

GFG, mauve, I loose 1-0 GG

Mauvebib
Sep 14 2005 Anchor

huh?

wtf?

--

Planetquake.com
Moddb.com

BKlegend
Sep 14 2005 Anchor

Do you even read the topic titles?

:P anyway.

WHITE EPSILON FoTW!

SPACE COWS FoTW!

methy
Sep 14 2005 Anchor

I don't get it. *cries*
Why do you get the joke and none of us do...

BKlegend
Sep 15 2005 Anchor

It's not a joke, I'm just saying "White Epsilon For The Win"
And "Onoses for the win"

methy
Sep 15 2005 Anchor

Woot, I get it now!! Thanks.

BKlegend
Sep 15 2005 Anchor

Ok everyone, go to White-epsilon.com
and spam up the forums plz

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.