Forum Thread
My somewhat rough Idea for a mod (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : My somewhat rough Idea for a mod) Locked
Thread Options
Apr 20 2006 Anchor

I want to see Halo 2 inspired (multiplyayer) mod for whichever engine is bets suited...

• Alt fire and melee attacks for each weapon.
  • Weapon attachmetns/weapon customization system.
  • BF2 sized maps.
  • Air, water, land and sea vehicles, some of which are capable of carrying a dozen people.
  • Holographic User interface a la Final Fantasy the Spirits within. Highly animated.
  • Dual wielding for all pistols and SMGs.
  • Bullet penetration system.
  • Both ballistic wepons and enerrgy weapons.
  • Can choose a single special ability at the start of a round.
  • Weapon breakdown : 4 pistols, 7 SMGS, 9 Assault rifles, and one rocket launcher.
  • Roughly 20 vehicles
  • Some vehicles have multiple wepon emplacements.
  • Multiple point target tracking for rocket weapons.
  • Each side has a massive homebase. The other team must destoy the other teams homebase.
  • Engineers can customize the homebase with turrets, scanners, etc.)
  • Realistic wepaon ranges. COmbat can take place at upwards of 100 meters.

--

User Posted Image

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Apr 20 2006 Anchor

so you basically want halo 2?

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Stallion001
Stallion001 Ladies know me as daddy, u call me snuggle bear
Apr 20 2006 Anchor

Devmaster.net

Take a look there to find the one most suitable for your requirements..

Edited by: Stallion001

Apr 20 2006 Anchor

so you basically want halo 2?

Read my whole outline.

Th only Halo 2 part of it is the dual wielding, melee attack, and the setting.

Edited by: |_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-}

--

User Posted Image

FrozenSoul80
FrozenSoul80 ModDB Cheese Pirate™
Apr 20 2006 Anchor

Why not just scrap the whole "Halo2" concept? Just make it in an original setting. It's less n00b-ish that way :)

--

There are no more original ideas. You just have to hope your ripoff is better than everyone elses.

My DeviantArt
User Posted Image
User Posted Image
User Posted Image

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

Dammit! Lock this someone. I am so tired with "I want a *** mod. Make it for me!"
How about creating some better design document, and telling us that you are going to make this yourself, AND have already started.

Now the idea is not that bad. And if you say "BF2 sized maps" then BF2 is the engine to go with.

--

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

I'll disagree with zenarion slightly and say that the idea IS isn't just bad, it's terrible. What this guy wants is a Holodeck, not a mod. There isn't an engine in existence that can do what he's outlined no matter how much time you spend modding it.

--

Icemage
---
Creating a mod requires: Creativity. Skill. Effort. Two out of three doesn't count.

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

You mean unlike Bf2 and Ut2k4? I don't think it's that unrealistic if you take the "features" at base value, but I don't think there's anywhere enough substance to really call this a mod idea.

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

I would agree that there is nothing impossible here, but plenty of very complex systems that will require top-notch bespoke coding with oodles of new art content. It would be a significant challenge to a veteran team. |_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-} , is there any subset of this feature set you'd be interested in starting with, and then build up from there? Most mods are built in small steps towards the grand idea.

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

Eh... Bullet penetration is possible in BF2? That's news to me. Could maybe be modded in, but it'd be devilishly difficult since you'd have to write your own collision detection code. Ditto for user-customizable bases. The engine doesn't handle that sort of thing very well at all (though to be fair, no FPS game handles user-constructible structures gracefully).

UT2K4 handles some of that list better, but vehicles are a pain in that engine (to say the least), and again, bullet penetration is a beast without true projectile ballistics, and the mapsize is an issue.

What concerns me more is that it's just a list a features without any explanation for what gameplay-based reasons they're being created for.

--

Icemage
---
Creating a mod requires: Creativity. Skill. Effort. Two out of three doesn't count.

Apr 21 2006 Anchor

BF2142.....Nuff said

Your idea sounds alot like the other thousands of "wannabe" mods/Total Conversions out there. Come up with something a little more creative :)

Im not trying to be harsh, but i have to agree with both Zenarion and Icemage. One thing i did like out of your little "Doc", is the whole Customizational weaponry. Although i do believe ive seen a retail game with that same concept...Not sure if it was Devastation or Painkiller...Something around those lines.

--

::Supporting starving artists around the globe!::
~visit Conceptart.org

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Apr 21 2006 Anchor

Can't comment regarding BF2 and bullet penetration, user-built bases etc - my BF2 experience is purely as a player, not a modder. My Mod background is very much UT, and in UT2k4 all that is possible, but very much not easy. I could give you a possible outline of how to achieve any of those in UT2k4 (The bases would be a bit of a kludge, but it would achieve the purpose of the idea, even if it doesn't quite cover the full idealistic concept), but I wouldn't be available to implement it. My own mod is demanding quite enough of my life as it is ;)

If this was to be done in 2k4, I could offer guidance. That said, in offering guidance my first suggestion remains aim lower, then build up.

ambershee
Apr 22 2006 Anchor

Bah, customiseable weapons are something that tend to proliferate duff mod ideas. (Especially mine XD)

Icemage wrote: Eh... Bullet penetration is possible in BF2? That's news to me. Could maybe be modded in, but it'd be devilishly difficult since you'd have to write your own collision detection code. Ditto for user-customizable bases. The engine doesn't handle that sort of thing very well at all (though to be fair, no FPS game handles user-constructible structures gracefully).

UT2K4 handles some of that list better, but vehicles are a pain in that engine (to say the least), and again, bullet penetration is a beast without true projectile ballistics, and the mapsize is an issue.

What concerns me more is that it's just a list a features without any explanation for what gameplay-based reasons they're being created for.

Quake 3 additionally never incorporated bullet penetration, but hey, with a few lines of simple, clever code it can easily be included. I dare say that Bf2 wouldn't be all that different.

May 1 2006 Anchor

Gibberstein wrote: I would agree that there is nothing impossible here, but plenty of very complex systems that will require top-notch bespoke coding with oodles of new art content. It would be a significant challenge to a veteran team. |_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-} , is there any subset of this feature set you'd be interested in starting with, and then build up from there? Most mods are built in small steps towards the grand idea.

Sure! I guess I could start with the weapons and the vehicles.

When I said, BF2 maps, think Empires mod sized stuff. I really liked the concept of nbase customization, but felt that it took too long in Empires. As far as base customization goes, I just wanted to incorperate turrets, which could be either placed at ground level or on walls, which, if ballistic based (rocket turrets), would gain a range advanatage. These turrets can then be further upgraded (individually) for better range, damage, greater number of projectiles fired at a time, higher firing rate, etc.)

I guess later, I can get to the vehicles. I'm pretty excited about the big water vehicles. ;)

Players can restock their health and ammo at their homebase, as well purchasing vehicles and repairing them.

Now, I think that there's plenty of commerical engines capable of doing this. The scope of the mentioned features wouldn't nreally require a very grandiose engine becasue most of them are just details. :)

As far as kits go, I think I'll want to pass on the class system and instead go with the CS style sytle where where players earn money for kills and capturing spawn points, which they can use for purchasing weapons and vehicles. Once they have enough money to buy a weapon or vehicle, they also have acess to a set of attachments/modifications, which cost money (the more money the have, the more attachments they can buy for their vehicle.

Aside formt the weapon and vehic le customization, I wanted to keep things pretty straightforward and basically be all out war a la Quake 4.

BTW, having just purchased Quake 4, I'de be open to using that engine too.

I can model pretty well in 3DS max and Maya. That is, I'm good enough to make props, but not characters. ;)

I'm pretty good with HTML too.

--

User Posted Image

ambershee
May 2 2006 Anchor

Quake 4 is a dog in multiplayer - you'd never pull it off using it ;)

On 100Mb/s I still have difficulty with more than 6 players.

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
May 2 2006 Anchor

Quake 3 then? Engine is open source and all...

--

May 2 2006 Anchor

Quake 3, hm? Elite Force 2 used that engine, right? Yeah, those graphics were failly decent.

Are there are coders and modelers here who would be willing to undertake this project?

Yes, I suppose it is kind of like Halo 2 excet with bigger levels, bigger vehicles (some of them atleast), and weapn customization. Yeah, and mixed with CS.

Edited by: |_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-}

--

User Posted Image

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
May 2 2006 Anchor

Do you have anything to bring to the table other than ideas?

--

May 2 2006 Anchor

Yup, I'm good enough to model props and I'm quite good with HTML. ;)

--

User Posted Image

May 4 2006 Anchor

Can anyone offer their skills for my mod?

--

User Posted Image

May 8 2006 Anchor

bump

Any good people out there?

--

User Posted Image

ambershee
May 8 2006 Anchor

One suggests,that the fact you've decided on a second bump would seem to suggest disinterest from this community in this mod. You may / not have better luck elsewhere ;)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.