Forum Thread
My idea ofr A UT2007 mod (Forums : Ideas & Concepts : My idea ofr A UT2007 mod) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Name : Dark Sun

• 10 maps.
  • Death match and CTF.
  • Far future setting
  • Team bases a La Empires mod (w/ base building.) Base building can be disabled for the server.
  • Many kinds of of turrets for engineers to set up.
  • Movement combos
  • Customizablew weapons. You can do things like increase firing rate, more damage, taget tracking capability, or add completely new functionality (modifies the priamry firing mode or the alt fire) such as lighting that chains from one person to another.
  • 20 * 20 Km map sizes.
  • Mines to protext your base
  • Build defensive structures, like walls and traps.
  • High tech weaponry like plasma pistols, pusle rifles, pop up turrets, and beam weapons.
  • Dual wielding
  • Melee attack for each weapon.
  • Dual wielding
  • 20 weapons, 20 vehicles
  • Vehicles vary widely from enormous (70) feet tall mechs and tanks to small speeder bikes. large vehicles have many (8-12) weapons. Gunners can switch between weapons with number keys. Multiple gunners may be neccesary, each controlling 4-6 of the guns. Mobile Artiallry can proovide fire form afar. Vehicles also vary in speed, too (bigger bvehicles can not move as fast duh.)
  • Vehicles might traval on land (anti gravity or treads for example) or on water as traditional boats. There area also air vehicles.
  • Alt fires.
  • Plasma rifle can lock on and fire tracking shots, like in the Movie the Fifth element.
  • Inventory weight system where you can carry up to 7 weapons, but the more you , the slower you traval.
  • Outdoor and urbadn maps (based on a combo of Coruscant and New Mombassa)
  • Hand carried rocket launcher has eight rounds like in Quake 4. The rockets can be fired noramally like in UT or the user can go into scoped mode, where he can lock onto up to eight targets and fire away. :) Rockets travel relatively fast but can be shot down.
  • Different sensorys with different capbabilites, like thermal sensing.
  • A choice of armor : heavy, light, or medium.
  • Earn money from kills. Money can be spent on new weaponry and new armor.
  • Maps range form huge urban spraws, to arctic bases, to underwater cities, to cities floating on top.
  • Two sides : alians and humans.
  • Interactive maps, with elevators, doors, etc.

I'm going for a combo of Quake 4, Halo 2, Empires Mod, Join Ops, and Perfect Dark.

My goal is to create epic combat.

Whoever says that maps that big don't work, think back to the Unreal 3 vehicles demo, where levels can be streamed. ;)

--

User Posted Image

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

You've never made a mod before have you?

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Huge work that can is. And much work you have ahead of you. Too young, too unexperienced, i say. I sence much anger here.
I will stop the Yoda-speak now.

--

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

(ska)Diesel wrote: You've never made a mod before have you?

He does tend to constantly demonstrate this.

Yes, big maps will work. But Epic have said their biggest will be about 3 times as big as UT2k4's limits - nowhere near as big as 20x20 km. On top of that technical difficulty, there would be absolutely no point in having a map that big. Having play spread out across 20km is stupid - the players will only be using at most 1 square km of it, if that. You will be left with huge holes where players never visit because there is simply no point going there - and then you've put in all that mapping effort for nothing.

--

User Posted Image
Sig courtesy of A hammy-bob mod christmas special 3 XD
Need help for: sound mastering, editing and recording, SFX creation or music? Drop me a PM

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Here we are again with all of the flaws we picked holes into the last "ideas".

Pointlessly large map sizes that render the game unplayable.

Stupidly unfeasible quantities of media.

Such a horrendous amount of codework that noone will touch you with a barge pole.

AJ_Quick
AJ_Quick Arty type thing
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Here's a thought.

Pick any *one* of those bullet points, and then try to do it.

--

"I will play but only if there is clopping" - Alex Quick, Sep 15 2012, 6:56am

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Or pick one idea instead of posting a new one every day.

--

razorb
razorb Indie Dev
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

ffs..you never LEARN! :ooo ... think SIMPLE!

Gibberstein
Gibberstein Generic Coder Type Thing
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Is it just me, or is this just a re-hash of his old ideas? Making it a derivative re-hash of his derivative re-hashed ideas. Meta-derivative rehashed idea, anyone :o

Saying it twice does not make it twice as good. If anything, saying it twice makes it half as effective.

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

How about 5 Km 8 5Km. That is certainly manageable.

You've never made a mod before have you?

He does tend to constantly demonstrate this.

Why don't you tell this to the other peopel here, hm? Is it just becasue I seem to have confidence in my ideas?

Pointlessly large map sizes that render the game unplayable.

Joint Ops had maps this big and it didn't detract from the gameplay.

Stupidly unfeasible quantities of media.

What 20 weapons? I've seen games that have more.

Such a horrendous amount of codework that noone will touch you with a barge pole.

LOL, WTH are you referring to?

BTW, 95% of my ideas have been done in other games, I'm just putting it all together so it's perfectly feasable.
====================================================================

I think that we need to remind ourselves of the purpose of this forum.

I'm not superman and I can't make awhole mod by myself. There is often a person who's only job is to design the mod (concepting) and that is what I've done.

--

User Posted Image

Gibberstein
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

|_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-} wrote:
There is often a person who's only job is to design the mod (concepting) and that is what I've done.

I call 'rubbish' to this. How many released, playable mods can you name where the leader was purely an ideas man? If you can even name one, I can name hundreds where the mod got finished through hard work from every member of the team, but especially from the leader. What you've done counts for next to nothing. I'd love to see you make something of your ideas. Instead you're just spewing more ideas, and your ideas are becoming painfully repeatative I'm afraid :(

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

you may be confident in your ideas... we arnt
joint ops sucked and no one plays it

LOL, WTH are you referring to?
BTW, 95% of my ideas have been done in other games, I'm just putting it all together so it's perfectly feasable.

You merged other ideas yer but remeber the other games that used these ideas where built around them not the ideas built around the game
your giving it a shot... yes... but you realy need to look to the dev cycle and how things are done, to realy make your ideas viable.

Idea-> expand->gamestyle->exeptions and teamplay->design and implement and test-> create

Edited by: TKAzA

AJ_Quick
AJ_Quick Arty type thing
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

I'm not superman and I can't make awhole mod by myself. There is often a person who's only job is to design the mod (concepting) and that is what I've done.

Clap........clap..........................................clap.

We've heard this before. You used the same arguments to defend the same overblown collection of "ideas" in another thread. remember? The one that got locked when you wouldn't shut up?

This mod isn't going to happen.

--

"I will play but only if there is clopping" - Alex Quick, Sep 15 2012, 6:56am

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

There is often a person who's only job is to design the mod (concepting) and that is what I've done.

BEING A "IDEAS MAN" IS NOT A ROLE OR JOB IM MOD DEVELOPMENT

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Your ideas suck and no one likes them or you.
Problem solved. :)

--

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

You stil haven't answered me, why don't you tell this to other people when the post ideas for their own mod?

Personally, I think the reason why no one wants to attempt it is becasue they can't stand the prospect of glory.

--

User Posted Image

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

^^ That's way too harsh, man. You can strike down a mod idea, but there's no reason to make this personal.

It is definitely too ambitious. Start off small and grow. That's really the only way people will join up on this idea.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

What can I say? I'm a cold, uncaring bastard. :P

--

Gibberstein
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

Personally, I think the reason why no one wants to attempt it is becasue they can't stand the prospect of glory.

Personally, I think your ideas go nowhere because you can't stand the prospect of doing any work yourself.

I'd give up posting in your threads, but you serve as such a perfect example of how not to start a team that I feel I should persist. If you learn what it is you're missing, then it will be a moment worthy of great celebration for all who have been involved in your threads, especially for yourself. If you never learn, there is still the hope that others will learn to avoid your fate by avoiding the example you set. Either way, there is enough gained to be worth a few minutes of my time :)

Jul 9 2006 Anchor

BlckWyerve wrote: Your ideas suck and no one likes them or you.
Problem solved. :)

um thats rude and breaks the moddb rules... im harsh but not that mean

|_}U-(M)-G{_|{-$-} wrote: You stil haven't answered me, why don't you tell this to other people when the post ideas for their own mod?

We do tell others and we are being alot nicer to you, and yet you stil fail to listen to reson or our help
me and other skilled modders that have mods running and relesed like gibbersein,mr kadish and icemage all have advised you what you are doing wrong
and you have paid no attention.

this is what is pissing ppl of and will continue till we wont respond to your threads.
so heed our advice and nomatter how much you need to swallow your pride, listen and learn PLEASE!!!

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

In all of your threads, Gibberstein has been helpful and kind. Listen to him! He is right. For a start, all you are listing is a bunch of features that the major, major mods lists as key features. You are whacking a bunch of features together than making something with no real purpose of form, just a lot of code, a lot of art and no idea about how playable the whole thing would be.

Read this thread is you want to know just how much the average developer values ideas. Please, gain some kind of useful skill, preferable by implementing some form of this idea, then build from that. It's the only way to do it.

Relto
Relto Kharak is burning.
Jul 9 2006 Anchor

"Idea Managment Engineer"

Oh god, that's classic.

Let me give you some examples of my ideas:

IDEA EXAMPLE #1 Having super heros from DIFFERENT comics/games/etc. team up into one game and fight together or against each other.

this was actually implemented several times in fighting games, and super nintendo games like BattleToads/Double dragon. I earlier proposed a game idea where the power rangers, teenage mutant ninja turtles, and the 3 ninjas teamed up to save the world from space aliens.

IDEA EXAMPLE #2 Instead of thinking inside the box, think outside. When you hit something in a game have their controller shake.

This idea was implemented by nintendo with the rumble pack.

These and other original ideas have been thought up by me. This is my "portfolio".

:thumbup:

Edited by: Relto

--

Jul 10 2006 Anchor

I was looking to put together a team. I can be the idea person and the webpage designer

--

User Posted Image

Jul 10 2006 Anchor

OMFG LISTEN TO US YOU FOOL

ArChNeMiSiS
ArChNeMiSiS Say hello to my little friend!
Jul 10 2006 Anchor

Batman can make a mod on his own.. O_o

I personally have not realeased a mod. I aim to start a large scale mod in the next few months (be on the look out for it guys ;) ) , but i have spent two years refining my mapping skills and learning how a mod works in order to become prepared for starting one. Take my advice, spare yourself all of this trouble and spend some time to learn how to do something in a mod (designing and webpage making are not skills). You don't have to be a lead contributer to your mod. You could maybe make a rough map or weapon model or two so that you can make people gain interest in your project, then once you have a team and have released some media and are WELL on your way to making your mod, sit back a bit and take care of the other major roles like the actual co-ordination of the team and PR roles. Once you start to make a name for your mod, create your website and forums and start trying to recruit people to your team. It's a constant struggle to maintain a mod and it's not easy in the long run. Just take your time, believe me, i was once like you wanting to make a mod about everything that was fun, but i soon learnt that it wasnt going to be easy without some skills so i went out and started mapping for HL2. I also tried some modelling, im still very rough with my models, but if my mod team needs help or i want to start a mod, i can produce some rough models that can be refined (or scrapped completely).

I hope this helps you see the light, im not trying to flame or contradict you or anything, just trying to help.

--

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.