Forum Thread
Zelda: Source - "We ain't dead yet!...f%&#..." (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : Zelda: Source - "We ain't dead yet!...f%&#...") Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3
SpexFox
SpexFox Mod Manager/Texture Artist - Zelda: Source
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Zelda: Source has been somewhat ignored over time. Looked like a mod that would come and go, and probably never see the light of day. Well, a short time ago development of Zelda: Source changed gears a bit, as control has now been handed over to me by Ganon4. Progress on has been growing pretty steadily now, with updates of new textures coming in alot (although I've textured everything I can up to this point ^.^;).

However, we're still in need of some help to make this a reality. New memebers are needed to get Zelda: Source is good enough condition fo public beta testing. Please, come and take a look at Zeldasource.moddb.com (which links to our moddb page :P) to see what's been going on and look into the help wanted section. We still need:

*Model Animator
*New Weapon Modeller
*Additional Programer

There is also room for an additional texture artist and I may end up needed a new Character Modeller if I cannot contact my current one.

I am determined to make sure that this mod will at least see one public beta release. There's no reason that Zelda: Source cannot make it to that and I'm going to make sure of it.

VegasTheWZAd
VegasTheWZAd Skull Servant
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

This is still a really bad idea.

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

>.>

Listen, if you wanna call my mod a bad idea, go ahead, but have good reasons to say so spammer. Back it up with reasoning, and if it's cuse of legal issues, it's already taken care of.

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote: There's no reason that Zelda: Source cannot make it to that and I'm going to make sure of it.

I'll give you two reasons. The first is called Nintendo, and the second is called Rabid Attack Lawyers. :)

--

Icemage
---
Creating a mod requires: Creativity. Skill. Effort. Two out of three doesn't count.

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Besides the fact, we stand to make no profit from making this and it only promotes Zelda. Nintendo doesn't stand to loose profit because, again, promotes Zelda and it's not a remake. So, no one will be getting a free remake of OoT. Not to mention them it's costing them nothing to show off the Zelda name here.

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote: Besides the fact, we stand to make no profit from making this and it only promotes Zelda. Nintendo doesn't stand to loose profit because, again, promotes Zelda and it's not a remake. So, no one will be getting a free remake of OoT. Not to mention them it's costing them nothing to show off the Zelda name here.

Yet another person who believes that free mods don't get FOX'd with Cease and Desists.

From 10/26/2004 from Slashdot:
Apple.slashdot.org

TLSPRWR wrote: I predict less than a week before Nintendo finds and shuts this project down like they have all the other remakes/original games based off their intellectual property.
Yes, as a webmaster, I've gotten a cease and desist letter for hosting a Mario fangame site, and there are countless examples of other fan projects that are released FOR FREE but Nintendo doesn't like someone using their characters. Sega, however is VERY lenient [emulationzone.org], and we know they know about us.

An article about Cease and Desists in general:
Thehylia.com

Mike wrote: The biggest thing for Nintendo is fan games. Of all the fan works in existence, fan games get the most attention and usually get the wrath of angry corporate video game developers' lawyers. Chrono Resurrection is probably the most well known fan project to face the wrath of such a company - in this case Square-Enix. Zelda 2 Enhanced, in production at The Gaming Universe, also apparently received an angry letter from Nintendo asking them to cease and desist. Others who I personally know were in the spot light of Nintendo's legal department were Ocarina of Time 2D and the Halo CE mod based on Ocarina of Time

Would you like more proof? There's tons of it out there. Just Google for Nintendo Cease and Desist and you'll get more entries than you'd care to read.

--

Icemage
---
Creating a mod requires: Creativity. Skill. Effort. Two out of three doesn't count.

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Well, like I said. Legal issues have already been taken care of as far as I know and I've yet to hear any Cease and Desist letters from Nintendo. And this mod has been around long enough for them to know it's there. I'm not concerned.

Let legal issues be my problem and just discuss the mod. That's what the topic's for.

Also, if I recall, there's something called "Zelda for Halo CE" which got out and I think it even used ripped materials. No problems for them, so why should there be for me? I know of plenty of fan creation communities out there that Nintendo lets be. In the end, it's free promotion for them and to some degree they allow that I'm sure. Reasons for cutting mods of their popular games is so they don't loose money from fan remakes. Mario would also deliver the same experiance as any other Mario gameplay really in 2D platforming, which is more of a remake. Also, in fan games like Mario remakes, ripped sprites are often used, causing more legal issues.

Everything is being made by us. It's not "let's rip this off of the cart and make a mod of it". We make the models, textures, interface, everything.

Edited by: SpexFox

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

I didn't even know it was here, and most likely alot of other people too, so Nintendo might never notice, since this project might not make it very far, even without legal entanglements. But if you do happen to get somewhere with this project, and Nintendo find out, they will automatically classify the project as a Number One Threat to their franchise. As much as you would like to think of this project "Helping" or "Supporting" the Zelda series, you are clearly not thinking from Nintendo's Point of view. If it aint theirs, they don't want it around.

--

modDBOld-Oldtimer

Icemage
Icemage Substance > Hype
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote:
Also, if I recall, there's something called "Zelda for Halo CE" which got out and I think it even used ripped materials. No problems for them, so why should there be for me? I know of plenty of fan creation communities out there that Nintendo lets be. In the end, it's free promotion for them and to some degree they allow that I'm sure. Reasons for cutting mods of their popular games is so they don't loose money from fan remakes. Mario would also deliver the same experiance as any other Mario gameplay really in 2D platforming, which is more of a remake. Also, in fan games like Mario remakes, ripped sprites are often used, causing more legal issues.

Reading comprehension, folks. As I quoted above, the folks behind Ocarina of Time for Halo CE did, in fact, get in a legal tangle from Nintendo.

From wrote: Others who I personally know were in the spot light of Nintendo's legal department were Ocarina of Time 2D and the Halo CE mod based on Ocarina of Time.

Everything is being made by us. It's not "let's rip this off of the cart and make a mod of it". We make the models, textures, interface, everything.

That doesn't mean squat to Nintendo. They're interested in protecting their intellectual property, which includes likenesses, not just art assets.

Edited by: Icemage

--

Icemage
---

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Well, then I'll just pull the "educational purpose" card (which it really is for me anyway) and if I really gotta take down the mod, then w/e. It's not like I don't have other mod ideas. Again, Zelda Halo CE is out. Despite the legal issues, it's out, so why should I worry?

Really, why are you worried about the legal issues behind the mod? If you want me to settle this, then I will email Nintendo myself and ask for permission to create the mod and see what they say. Until an issue arises, development will continue so don't worry about it until then.

And also, if you google "Zelda Mod", our moddb page comes up on the 4th page, which means if Nintendo does any research to see what's out there, they would have seen by now.

From what I know, the previous mod manager had to put the mod on hold because of legal issues, and we restarted development not to long ago after it was aparenttly cleared.

At the end of this, the legal issues are my problem, not the audiences. Why bother trying to tell me something I already know, right? Just enjoy what's there and hope the mod makes it.

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Alright...let's get down to business.

We need to step it up a notch. And i'll help in anyway possible.

MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan Working on Maggie's Farm
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

You'll get foxed, I wish you wouldn't, but you will, ZELDA is their registered trademark and their Intelectual property!

--

User Posted Image

idolminds
idolminds Some guy
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Its better to get permission than ask for forgiveness. Email Nintendo before any major work goes on and save yourself the headache.

You need to ask yourself, do you need to use the Zelda name? Does the model have to look like Link? Why not make a mod thats inspired by Zelda, but isn't acctually Zelda?

Have a look at Grotto King for inspiration. Its short and more like a demo, but I really enjoyed it. Its obviously influenced by Zelda without being Zelda.

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

I already emailed Nintendo not more than an hour ago asking for permission. If they say no, then it's no, and if yes, then yes.

If I have to change some names and the way things appear, then I don't know if I want to do it. It's for bringing Zelda into the online multiplayer realm. Having a Zelda "rip-off" doesn't leave me very satisfied at the end of the day. It's far bigger challange to stay true to the series that already exsists while incorperaiting a whole new idea to it.

Again, if this mod does get the boot, I still have other mod ideas I could get to work on anyway. Eliminaiting this will just clear my to-do list, though dissapointing it may be to do so.

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

You could always make a zelda rip-off with different names :P

And yeah, there's no way they'll approve.

smfk
smfk Pirate
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Good luck. Even though I agree that this project will probably be shutdown, I still wish you success.

--

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Thanks for giving so much as a "good luck" smfk. Unlike some folks who just say "OMGROFLBBQ NINTENDO GUN SOO U!"

If it goes down, I won't like it, but it's room to breath and think of other things to do. I've already got a few textures I can use for a portfolio to college at least, so that's something out of it. Rest assured, if Zelda: Source dies, there'll be another mod I'll make in its place (which probably will be nothing like Zelda, but w/e)

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote: Again, Zelda Halo CE is out. Despite the legal issues, it's out, so why should I worry?

That doesn't justify anything. We arent saying you can't risk a court order which can strip you of everything your worth, ultimately thats your choice. We are just telling you its a bad idea, not to mention stupid.

SpexFox wrote: Really, why are you worried about the legal issues behind the mod?

We aren't worried, but you should be.

SpexFox wrote: Why bother trying to tell me something I already know, right?

Because your ignorant and won't listen to what people are telling you. Its like your 6 years old, and your mom tells you not to touch the stove or you'll burn yourself, but you do it anyways.

--

modDBOld-Oldtimer

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Ya know what, I didn't make this mod, I just run it now, and if Nintendo says "take it down", I'll take it down >.> I know the risks and frankly, they arn't very high right now. The mod hardly in a working phase and the models/textures are all out of the engine. I have very little reason to worry at this point. You've told me it's a bad idea, you've told me the risks, and now, it's time to move on.

I KNOW ALREADY!

Try discussing the mod for a change, since this is why the topic was made in the first place. Oh, and don't call me ignoraint, cuse I am listening to what you're saying. And I keep on saying "If the mod has to be taken down, it will be." and I won't like it but I HAVE OTHER MOD IDEAS! If this one is illiminaited, then fine! I've got other projects I can do after the fact.

And I know someone is gonna tell me "Why don't you just work on one of those?"

Because I like Zelda, and there are very few Zelda mods out there (perhaps for this same reason). I think it would be nice that there be something out there for once.

If the mod gets taken down, it'll be by Nintendo's order. PERIOD

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote: Ya know what, I didn't make this mod, I just run it now, and if Nintendo says "take it down", I'll take it down >.> I know the risks and frankly, they arn't very high right now. The mod hardly in a working phase and the models/textures are all out of the engine. I have very little reason to worry at this point. You've told me it's a bad idea, you've told me the risks, and now, it's time to move on.

that's exactly the point. at the time beeing it's not a problem and you won't loose much time if you get shot down but if your project is close to end AND you get shot down ( which i assume will happen ) then it really sux if you spend 1 or 2 years just to get stripped of all the work you've done. it's your decision if you want to see so much time and work thrown out of the window due to some trigger happy lawyers.

MrTambourineMan
MrTambourineMan Working on Maggie's Farm
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

SpexFox wrote:
And I keep on saying "If the mod has to be taken down, it will be." and I won't like it but I HAVE OTHER MOD IDEAS! If this one is illiminaited, then fine! I've got other projects I can do after the fact.

I have a feeling that you've never tried to mod, if you would, you'd know the potential frustration of having to throw away years of hard work and dedication for nothing. In the end it's not worth it. Sorry I (WE) have to say that, but that's '' a hard mothafuckin' fact of life''(Marsellus Wallace, Pulp fiction)

--

User Posted Image

Baza
Baza Professional Idiot and Aussie Hobo
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

You may never even no the timing at which your Cease and Desist might arrive. It might even be the day before you release a mod... ALl your hard work would have been wasted! Just.... just... don't :S Save yourself the heartache, trouble and tension by starting over IE--> Start pondering about a new mod; a mod that isn't even an ANAGRAM of Zelda.

--

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

User Posted Image

VAU: amateurs with proessional standards

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Baza wrote: You may never even no the timing at which your Cease and Desist might arrive. It might even be the day before you release a mod... ALl your hard work would have been wasted! Just.... just... don't :S Save yourself the heartache, trouble and tension by starting over IE--> Start pondering about a new mod; a mod that isn't even an ANAGRAM of Zelda.

Which is why I'm sending in that email now (Nintendo is good about responding) and it's also why any other mods ideas I have arn't Zelda or Zelda-like, as I mentioned. And this isn't hard years worth of work being tossed away, but the works of a team that did a little, left it, came back, and did a little more so far.

In the end, it may or may not get shot down. If it does, expect to see me again with a whole different mod, ok?

As a matter of fact, since you seem so sure that Nintendo will kick the mod, I've been thinking alot about my plans in the past while for other ideas, so I'm prepaired to do something fresh from the start as it is. Hell, if they DO allow the mod, I may get distracted by the other mod idea I started prepairing in my head ^.^

EDIT:

Well, we're making progress:

Message(#6851-000514-3896\5143896)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

We appreciate your interest in Nintendo and our highly acclaimed line of video game products. To us, it's a sign of recognition and your vote of confidence in the Nintendo name.

In regard to obtaining our licensing seal for your proposed Zelda game idea, I have forwarded your request to our Brand Management Group for further review. If you would like additional information on our company and products, please visit the FAQ section of our website at the following address:

Nintendo.com

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
David Glover

Aug 14 2006 Anchor

Lawl, they thought you were proposing an idea, not making an actual mod. Did you tell them in detail that you had intention of modding Half-Life 2 in order to create this idea into playable form with you and your teammates?

It looks like through that link that Nintendo holds strong morals when it comes to someone using their intellectual property without their permissions, i.e. the person buying a license through them. So, you may very well be out of luck in that department.

You know, like I mentioned in the other thread, why not just make a parody of Zelda instead of an actual Zelda mod? Have fun with the worlds. You won't get attacked if you tease the series a bit. Change the names, the characters, flip the areas backwards or change them altogether, but keep the same world. They can't target you for that.

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

SpexFox
Aug 14 2006 Anchor

It's kind of an "all-or-nothing" thing for me on this one. And I did mention it's a mod. They know what I'm doing, so don't worry about that. We'll see what happens in the end.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.