Forum Thread
Open letter complaint regarding the handling of the MOTY '06 (Forums : Mod of the Year Awards : Open letter complaint regarding the handling of the MOTY '06) Locked
Thread Options
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

I realize that this will probably not change the results of any awards, but I find myself questioning how the mods were chosen for the announcement made today (1/26).

I was under the distinct impression, based off of the 'awards' page for the MOTY contest, that the 'Best Standalone Game' category is based on votes from the players, not the editors. (It is contained in the 'Player's Choice' category) This is further extended by the separate category 'Standalone game' in the editor's choice category, which was inexplicitly changed to 'Upcoming Standalone Game' at today’s announcement. Yet somehow a game that was not voted into the top 100 mods by the players has become the 'best standalone game of the year.'

This means that, based on the 'legal' terms and conditions provided, a standalone game has absolutely no way of winning any player's choice awards. "Standalone games deemed active and non-commerical [sic] by Mod DB staff will be eligible to win only in the 'best standalone' category."

My team and I have worked hard both on our game, and promotion of this contest to get players to vote for us. Yet our promotion was to no avail because the rules were changed, and it was somehow decided that a standalone game can no longer be picked by the players.

I'm completely flabbergasted at how it is possible for ModDB to put on such a large contest, and yet completely ignore the rules it has laid out itself.

Jan 26 2007 Anchor

EC's Best Standalone is a separate category from Standalone of the Year. It will be winning the alotted $500.

Darsana was by choice only. Do not feel offended, as it's a separate entity from the Player's Choice Standalone. We apologize for the confusion.

Edited by: Karuto

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Jan 26 2007 Anchor

So where is the player's choice standalone announcement then?

Jan 26 2007 This post has been deleted.
INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

ERR:OverFlow - you are correct, there is a Standalone Game of the Year Category which is player picked. In our rush to get the feature and video content out in time we overlooked this fact, however if you view the Moddb.com page you will see it says:

Standalone Game of the Year Alienware Gaming Rig + $1,000
Runner Up $500

So while standalone games are not eligible for any of the mod-related categories, you are eligible for this standalone category. So the votes for your game were not in vain. We shall be amending this feature in the coming days to include the player-voted winning standalone games. In the mean time I will announce the winners here and they are:

1st. (but ineligible because this game is not yet released): Infinity: The quest for Earth
1st. Tremulous
2nd. Warsow
3rd. (but ineligible because this game is not yet released): Contagion Theory
3rd. (but ineligible because this game is not yet released): Dream Casters Duel
3rd. OpenArena
4th. (but ineligible because this game is not yet released): Nosferatu
4th. Nexuiz
5th. CodeRED - Alien Arena

Edited by (in order): INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jan 26 2007 Anchor

All right, thanks for clearing it up. But maybe just because that category was my target, you can understand how distraught I was that it was somehow overlooked...

Jan 26 2007 Anchor

hhehe you were angry and now you know you won i bet that was like a huge emotional flip :) well done Tremulous team

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

Congratulations Tremulous team.

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

Indeed congratulations. Unfortunately when creating the feature I copied the template used in the previous years, and well since 2006 is the first year standalone games are recognized - I accidentally missed adding them.

It will be corrected in the coming days, the winning teams can expect to hear from me.

--

Scott Reismanis

Betelgeuze
Betelgeuze Infinity developer
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

Congratulations Tremulous

Voting on an unreleased standalone game was useless?

Also, has Nosferatu been released?

Edited by: Betelgeuze

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jan 26 2007 Anchor

Betelgeuze wrote: Has Nosferatu been released?

No.

It confuzzles me because OA wasn't nominated and the ineligible unreleased ones are.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

Jan 27 2007 Anchor

Wow, cool. Maybe we shoulda lied and said the ICP was a complete game that needed lots of patches yet.

J/k :D

Thanks for the editors choice for Infinity btw. :)

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Jan 27 2007 Anchor

CutterJohn wrote: Wow, cool. Maybe we shoulda lied and said the ICP was a complete game that needed lots of patches yet.

J/k :D

Thanks for the editors choice for Infinity btw. :)

We all love ya anyway.

BlueWolf72
BlueWolf72 Mod Till Ya Die
Jan 27 2007 Anchor

wow we got third......thanks to who voted for us. We release this year :)

congrats to Tremulous, if you guys want to do a interview on the radio pm me

--

Desura Contests Live!
Twitter With Me?<!--Session data-->

<!-- Top iFrame -->

<!-- Bottom iFrame -->

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jan 29 2007 Anchor

OA finished 3rd because only 5 standalone made the top 100, and 3 were unreleased! So yeah OA was the next closest to making the top 100 basically.

--

Scott Reismanis

leilei
leilei The person who doesn't like anything
Jan 29 2007 Anchor

Well Nosferatu is unreleased too, so make that 4.

--

<  insert subject games here  >

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

All standalone games are now mentioned: Moddb.com

Check it out! Feel free to post the news on your site, sorry for the delay everyone!

--

Scott Reismanis

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Hooray. Thanks.

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.