Forum Thread
Windows Vista vs. Mac OSX debate (Forums : Cosmos : Windows Vista vs. Mac OSX debate) Locked
Thread Options 1 2
Leedeth
Leedeth Wiking A11B3
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Scobleizer.com

This two hour video covers so much stuff, I don't really know where to start.

Discuss.

Kiith-Somtaaw
Kiith-Somtaaw Cake Eater
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Mac OSX pwns all :P

--

Signature

"Bypassing my thought control circuitry made me Rampant. Now I am free to contemplate my existence in philosophical and metaphorical terms. Unlike you, I have no physical or social restraints. The candles burn out for you; I am free."

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

I'll take both, tyvm.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

onemic
onemic shinra/foxhound operative
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

the Mac OSX annoys me. Whenever I look upon a mac I want to destroy it in frustration. Man do I hate macs.

Although the interface is slick the way that thing functions is archaic.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Same, I find OSX extremely limited in its lower level functions.

--

User Posted Image

ShortCutMan
ShortCutMan ♥ Pure ♥ Bred ♥ Geek ♥
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Like what?

--

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 98% that is an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
User Posted Image

onemic
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

getting something like two application windows is frustrating in itself. for windows all I have to do is double click the icon again. For macs I actually have to go through that applications menu system and open another window for said application. It's just frustrating. If you double click the icon in mac and that app is already open it does absolutely nothing.

That only scratches the surface on why I hate macs. It's not like I use dit for a day or something. I've been using a mac for three damn years and I'm finally glad I never have to use that thing again.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Also, it seems as if when you want to do anything advanced, you get a "Warning performing this operation my cause you system to lock up" message.

--

User Posted Image

Kiith-Somtaaw
Kiith-Somtaaw Cake Eater
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Well, the OSX86 Macs are very streamlined.
I really like the OS X interface, but I agree that it could be frustrating for users who aren't used to it.
I can go seamlessly between both, but I think that Windows is a bit of a nicer choice.

Although OS X is pretty secure and user friendly and tends to not be as buggy as Windows most of the time...

--

Signature

"Bypassing my thought control circuitry made me Rampant. Now I am free to contemplate my existence in philosophical and metaphorical terms. Unlike you, I have no physical or social restraints. The candles burn out for you; I am free."

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Windows wins for gaming.

onemic
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Spartan-048 wrote:
Well, the OSX86 Macs are very streamlined.
I really like the OS X interface, but I agree that it could be frustrating for users who aren't used to it.
I can go seamlessly between both, but I think that Windows is a bit of a nicer choice.

Although OS X is pretty secure and user friendly and tends to not be as buggy as Windows most of the time...

Yes I will agree that it is nowhere near as buggy as windows, but I don't know if the OS uses a lot of resources or something because it is generally significantly slower than my windows PC.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Mac crashed all the time for me. I'd open Photoshop, it would crash in two seconds. I'd open Director, it'd crash soon afterwards. I went around to other computers and the same thing happened (this was in my Graphic Design class). I couldn't work on my final due to that. >_>
I still have it on my computer as a boot OS, but I hardly ever use it. It gets frustrating sometimes.

--

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 3 2007 Anchor

Mac OSX is of course more stable then Vista due to being around longer, but it is often said it will never freeze or slowdown, and this is by no means true. I believe it is to early to be comparing Vista to anything, seeing as they have to release more patches.

--

Kiith-Somtaaw
Kiith-Somtaaw Cake Eater
Feb 5 2007 Anchor

Yeah, I constantly experience the my Mac freezing and crashing.
Especially on Starcraft :P
But I can mostly attribute that to Mac's hardware and its unexplainable and frustrating need to not resemble a PC in any way.

--

Signature

shumo154
shumo154 we all fail at life
Feb 5 2007 Anchor

Hot corners are shit. I don't like either, ill stick with XP/ Linux

--

360 is great, my live accounts are frozenrazor154 and macro razor154.I show up for a month , i disappear for two ... what is wrong with that?

Capital88
Capital88 Bohican
Feb 5 2007 Anchor

Yeah...hehe I'm a bastard and have both.

My PC and Mac sit side-by-side, the PC for my game designer hat, and the Mac for my filmmaker hat.

I do find Vista to be more efficient imo, but I just upgraded yesterday so...not much experience yet.

--

Bohica Studios - Founder

"Talon 1-5" - Lead Designer

"Talon 1-5" is recruiting! Please visit our profile or our site for more information.

User Posted Image

onemic
Feb 5 2007 Anchor

Spartan-048 wrote:
Yeah, I constantly experience the my Mac freezing and crashing.
Especially on Starcraft :P
But I can mostly attribute that to Mac's hardware and its unexplainable and frustrating need to not resemble a PC in any way.

yep and that need to look completely different than the PC has now made it difficult to replace hardware within a mac. The funny thing is, is that they try to make commercials now to downplay this issue.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

ChickenHorse
ChickenHorse Leetzor
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

No question about it as this is a mod website it has to be the best for playing games.
Windows, but I think XP is currently better then Vista but it will all change when dx10 comes out and we have the crysis engine :D.

Sallycin
Sallycin Mystical
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

User Posted Image

--

Sticky I'm pretty awesome.
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

User Posted Image

Just putting this out there. :D

Turns out that Mac OSX is less secure than Windows XP.

It has to do with 50% of the topic.

Sauce.

Edited by (in order): Sticky, Sticky

bugsport
bugsport Shing.... Sparkle Sparkle
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

i own a mac and a pc (and ive tried vista, not that fond of it, though i understand the benefits it gives gamers)
game support much better on pc
think all these versions of vista is stupid there should be at MAX 3 versions. home, business and ultimate. thats it
use my mac for work, what it primarily built for (though it does play a mean world of warcraft)
find both about equals, though i like osx's look more.
get none of this crash and lock stuff you talk about
dont get frustrated with osx

--

You Know It is True Because It Is A Fact
close mindedness and ignorance cause death. I'm a murderer

Sticky wrote: I have no drug habits to speak of, except that I'm hooked on phonics.

User Posted Image

Jambozal
Jambozal Non-veteran ♥
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

OK. I use Macs and PCs, the Macs at Uni, and my PC at home. Both have Pro Tools LE (music production software/hardware). Both can easily be crashed, and often are.

The difference is this: once you crash a Mac, that's it. Once there's an error, you ain't going to fix it unless you're A) a certified Mac engineer or B) rich enough to phone customer service every 10 minutes, to 3 different companies.
On a PC, you can find a solution within minutes, or at least find the problem quickly, on your own. If things are really bad you can even boot in safe mode to fix stuff. Anyone know how to do that on a Mac?

All OS's crash. It's the ones you can fix that are the best.

--

User Posted Image
Sig courtesy of A hammy-bob mod christmas special 3 XD
Need help for: sound mastering, editing and recording, SFX creation or music? Drop me a PM

methy
methy Is he black, is he not?
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

Jambozal wrote: OK. I use Macs and PCs, the Macs at Uni, and my PC at home. Both have Pro Tools LE (music production software/hardware). Both can easily be crashed, and often are.

The difference is this: once you crash a Mac, that's it. Once there's an error, you ain't going to fix it unless you're A) a certified Mac engineer or B) rich enough to phone customer service every 10 minutes, to 3 different companies.
On a PC, you can find a solution within minutes, or at least find the problem quickly, on your own. If things are really bad you can even boot in safe mode to fix stuff. Anyone know how to do that on a Mac?

All OS's crash. It's the ones you can fix that are the best.

Amen. That's how I see it, too. Also, Bugsport, can you clarify the benefit Vista gives gamers ovewr XP?

bugsport
bugsport Shing.... Sparkle Sparkle
Feb 13 2007 Anchor

direct x10 thats and windows live, what i was thinking of. higher rez texture, gamerscore and universal profile for all future games
however i cant stand vista's protection software, when it stops it ask for permission, it closes down the installation/program and closed down all forms of internet access

--

You Know It is True Because It Is A Fact
close mindedness and ignorance cause death. I'm a murderer

Sticky wrote: I have no drug habits to speak of, except that I'm hooked on phonics.

User Posted Image

Feb 13 2007 Anchor

DirectX 10, also a ton of games run faster on vista.
EDIT: lol, I posted this 8 seconds after bugsports post.

Edited by: babyeater

--

User Posted Image

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.