Forum Thread
What happened to knights of the force mod??? (Forums : Development Banter : What happened to knights of the force mod???) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
May 26 2007 Anchor

Hey what happened to this mod another lie? first they say that the mod will be released 1st of march and this week they comment that the mod will be released yesterdey 25th may and no signs of life another lie???

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
May 26 2007 Anchor

i can only see when the mod was last updated (25 days ago)
KOTF is a verry big mod (if im correct, its 3gig when its installed) so it might take a while for them to finish it :)

--

°w°

May 30 2007 Anchor

This is going to be great assuming they have finnished it. Gives me another excuse to open up JKA again.

Jun 3 2007 Anchor

moddb its released.
just go to search, search for mods, then type: knights of the force.
then under development, stands: released.
but were?

i hope well find out...

Mmaster

Arxae
Arxae Resident Stepmania Freak :D
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

check their website, there is a demo if i recall correctly

--

°w°

Jaze
Jaze KOTF:-Hater
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

KOTF IS A SCAM MOD TIMFX HAS BEEN EXTENDING THE RELEASE DATE FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS...HE USED OTHER PEOPLE MAPS AND MODELS IN AN ATTEMPT TO FABRICATE A MOD AND ASKS FOR DONATIONS TO KEEP IT ALIVE,

caps are to make sure i have your attention.

1.why are comments on the modb page and you tube disabled? = stops people with common sense "like me" tellings others about the scam,
2.why is all feed back on his website/forums positive? = wouldnt it be great if it was a perfect mod, well its not every post and comment is filterd by timfx or his "hired" help, yes all his admin are hired.
3.why cant you post on his forums/why were they closed? = timfx only allows certain people access and the ability to post, so if you know this infomation like me your likly to have had your account revoked and be unable to make a new one so that you cant spread the truth about his donation scam!

back in febuary a bunch of curious people including me all questioned the mod, the 8 of us were blocked and forums closed so he could cleanse it of our questions.

if you read this far down and still believe this mod then your dumb, if u ever donated you paid for tim's drinks and it wont ever be released and if it is it will be a compilation of OTHER peoples work which he will of gahtherd together to claim he made...

Forums.gamefront.com

more info on a place where timfx cant filter the truth...

DrZais
DrZais A Wing And A Prayer
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

Read the first news article on the page, note that people are playing the mod.
Kotf.com

Have you got any actual proof besides conjecture, circumstance and gripes about being banned/blocked? Given that you've spammed up most of their ModDB profile it wouldn't suprise me much if you were banned from their forums. The mod looks fairly legit, if they have used peoples skins and models without permission thats pretty underhand, but you're accusing them of much, much worse with no proof whatsoever.

Edited by: DrZais

--

ACHTUNG SCHWINEHUND!
User Posted Image
Forums =-= Profile
ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

Reading through that entire thread, there's a lot of reputable names in there throwing their weight into the scam argument. When you look at it, it does look more than suspect. Who asks for $2000 of donations to upgrade a machine so that they can continue to mod a game based on a Quake 3 engine variant? Who delays the release of a mod because they're translating into spanish? What's with their bizarre forum behaviour and comment deleting?

Jun 3 2007 Anchor

they're following the "Valve Release Date Scheduling Software ™ © (patent pending)"

Basically, the release date is today + random # to the 3rd power / 667.

--

Go play some Quake 2: q2server.fuzzylogicinc.com
It's like Source v0.9, only... better!
Play Paintball for Doom 3!: d3server.fuzzylogicinc.com
Doom 3 Paintball to the Max!

DrZais
DrZais A Wing And A Prayer
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

if they don't release when they've said they plan to then I'll be more sympathetic to Jaze's point of view. Its difficult coming in on the tail end of this thing. I admit this does all look slightly dodgy, but theres a diffrence between outright scam and exploiting people but with some repayment at the end (ie the finished mod).

I'm just suprised anyone would actually donate money, however naive.
Call me a cheapskate but I wouldn't contribute my hard earned cash to even the largest and most reputable mod team, thats what advertisers are for.

Edited by: DrZais

--

ACHTUNG SCHWINEHUND!
User Posted Image
Forums =-= Profile
ambershee
Jun 3 2007 Anchor

Aye. The only time I'd donate to mods, is to keep game servers running. I can't afford to run my own either, so it doesn't happen :lol:

Jun 4 2007 Anchor

Not to sound bad, but I've seen Tim's post about oh it's gonna be released on this date and then this date and oh it's done in these languages, but we gotta add these ones, or my machine is too slow I need to buy a brand new machine so send me your money. He's a con artist, plain and simple. The product which he has produced so far was extremely horrible. It might be 'donations', but a con artist could use the same defense then.

The facts are that Tim has said it's completely done multiple times and this has been going on for a few years now, he's also taken peoples money to buy himself a new computer, he bans people who question him instead of giving them answers or proof and the proof he has given is very shady at best. There's also people in the scene that have said some of the images and models look like other peoples, not just similar to those people's but exactly the same even though Tim has stated otherwise a few times, but hey he stated his game was done and it wasn't. Also if he's taking 'donations' for a new comp and showing other peoples products, do they in turn not deserve some of those 'donations' for their hard work which they have actually produced and shown the true results? Heck even the translators are getting shafted if this is legitimate, which I highly doubt.

I don't post on his forums and I very rarely bother with his site unless someone mentions something to me about it, like the 'donation' bit. Everything I have read when I've gone there and what other people have pointed out have made me question the legality of what he is doing and his morals. Plain and simple. So far Tim is looking only like a con man wanting to get a new computer and lead people on with one big hoax/lie.

In time if he produces something I may say otherwise, but the donation bit will just erase any work he puts out, because he's making money on a Star Wars mod. I bet Lucas and company would not be happy with someone making money on their product and not paying dues.

Jun 8 2007 Anchor

Jaze wrote: KOTF IS A SCAM MOD TIMFX HAS BEEN EXTENDING THE RELEASE DATE FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS...HE USED OTHER PEOPLE MAPS AND MODELS IN AN ATTEMPT TO FABRICATE A MOD AND ASKS FOR DONATIONS TO KEEP IT ALIVE,

caps are to make sure i have your attention.

1.why are comments on the modb page and you tube disabled? = stops people with common sense "like me" tellings others about the scam,
2.why is all feed back on his website/forums positive? = wouldnt it be great if it was a perfect mod, well its not every post and comment is filterd by timfx or his "hired" help, yes all his admin are hired.
3.why cant you post on his forums/why were they closed? = timfx only allows certain people access and the ability to post, so if you know this infomation like me your likly to have had your account revoked and be unable to make a new one so that you cant spread the truth about his donation scam!

back in febuary a bunch of curious people including me all questioned the mod, the 8 of us were blocked and forums closed so he could cleanse it of our questions.

if you read this far down and still believe this mod then your dumb, if u ever donated you paid for tim's drinks and it wont ever be released and if it is it will be a compilation of OTHER peoples work which he will of gahtherd together to claim he made...

Forums.gamefront.com

more info on a place where timfx cant filter the truth...

Allright,first im gona start with !!!!!!!!!IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! I am from Turkey, i have been on the Gamex Exhibition and i have SEEN IT with my own eyes... So if you still think its a scam, that means you are all stupid... I mean, there are so much videos, pics and fans that have seen the mod with theyre own eyes, and you know nothing, but you are still talking shit! The mod is gona be released the second week of june, and if not, im willing to wait to when it is released, cleaned of bugs, and than i WILL be expiriencing some real Star Wars gaming pleasure! Im sick of idiots like you Jaze, seriously.

Jaze
Jun 8 2007 Anchor

have you played a mod or seen pictures...or seen videos. they can be staged... your so naive if you belive in this mod.

all of the maps and models arnt his. so what work has he had to do??? the fact its single player means he would have illegaly had to reverse the engine which im sure he didnt do...so again i stress the mod is fake...and a scam for money

onemic
onemic shinra/foxhound operative
Jun 8 2007 Anchor

ambershee wrote: Reading through that entire thread, there's a lot of reputable names in there throwing their weight into the scam argument. When you look at it, it does look more than suspect. Who asks for $2000 of donations to upgrade a machine so that they can continue to mod a game based on a Quake 3 engine variant? Who delays the release of a mod because they're translating into spanish? What's with their bizarre forum behaviour and comment deleting?

The donation bit is CLEARLY a scam. No one would ever need $2000 for a new computer to run this game. Hell, back in 2005 when I got the game I was able to run it pretty damn smoothly on my crappy rig. Can you guess the specs?

Celeron D 2.4ghz
S3 savage integrated GPU 32mb
256mb of RAM

There is no way this guy should have trouble running the mod with his computer and I really doubt his old one is worse than mine. Even then all it would really take is probably $50 to be able to upgrade your GPU to a budget FX or 6 series to run the game.

--

User Posted Image
User Posted Image

ambershee
Jun 8 2007 Anchor

Aye - minimum system requirements:

DirectX 9.0a system compliance
Pentium III 450Mhz of faster CPU
128Mb memory (256Mb recommended)
32Mb OpenGL 1.4 PCI or AGP compatible GPU

You could buy a machine like that for less than a tenth of his 'donations'. Even if the mod is real, the whole donation thing is a farcical scam.

Jaze
Jun 13 2007 Anchor

:) finaly somepeople with fucking sense.

KOTF is a scam will moddb take action and close him down on here. its already been closed on filefront

Jun 14 2007 Anchor

update!

go to kotf.com, then downloads, then youll see magazine cover/ poster.
what does that mean?
maybe it still is coming out?

Mmaster

Jun 14 2007 Anchor

You can photoshop a fake maginze cover so easily. Hey, you know what I did in photoshop just the other day? imported a picture of myself looking in awe at my hands and made said hands look JUST like those of the exploding man in Heroes. Does that make me the exploding man? And I only have moderate photoshop skills.

Now for me add fuel to the fire:

First off, you can make your own conclusions, I won't call you stupid for disagreeing. I'm just giving you my opinion and explaining why I am of that opinion.

I personally think that donations or not, mod or not, Timfx has used other people's hard work and then had the gall to credit HIMSELF for it! If I was one of those modelers or mappers I would be all kinds of pissed off. I think that alone should get Tim banned. It's just so dirty of him to do that.

Has anyone else noticed that the episode 2 Anakin model/skin in the game trailer is far inferior the episode 3 Anakin also seen in the trailer? The difference in quality is so large it's almost as if they were made by two different people...

And I see some people have failed to notice that at least two months ago he said the game itself was done and he was just working on translating the menus. TWO. MONTHS. The progress bar has been set at 90% complete for how long now? You can't blame people for being suspicious. I wouldn't even blame them for pointing accusatory fingers. This has gone beyond fishy. It smells more like a rotting whale carcass now.

Now for my clincher:

Back in April I got fed up and posted this on his moddb page:

"Well Tim...it looks like you've alienated everyone. If it really is a scam, just admit it and give it up now. You must realize that since you have made a profit on the mod (be it real or not - the donations are now almost unanimously believed to be given under false pretenses) Lucasarts is now free to pursue legal action against you. Just read the end user license agreement on the game and you will likely find what I mean. Trust me on this, there are a lot of people now who are angry about this current situation and it's only a matter of time before someone reports what they think is happening to lucasarts (if lucasarts doesn't already know) and then things could really get out of hand.

It's also well known now that you have been using the maps and models of other mappers and modelers...if you've used someone else's material without their permission and they find out, you're looking at more people who will be holding a grudge against you. What is worse, you aren't even crediting them, instead choosing to pass said material off as your own hard work.

Finally, I'm not sure you have any idea just how big lucasarts/lucasfilm/ilm is. It doesn't matter that you don't live on the same continent. If they decide to take legal action, rest assured they have the resources to follow through."

Now of course I was bullshitting the legalese stuff, but everything else has foundation.

I think you will agree that it was a fairly polite comment and I was being pretty sincere, even gave him the benefit of the doubt hoping that he would explain that it was all a big misunderstanding. He deleted it immediately but I reposted it it every chance I got, changing the title of the comment to "Please Respond"

Well he finally did - when he PMed me with this:

"Subject: I will answer

On 22/03 TimFx said:
1-2 days later because my english is not enough
my freinds translating text"

That was two months ago and he never responded.

That's when I decided that it was a scam, 100% no doubt about it.

Edited by (in order): Snark-Eater, Snark-Eater, Snark-Eater, Snark-Eater

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Jun 15 2007 Anchor

I am currently investigating this and whether the mod is a scam and should be allowed to continue. Since I don't know the mods background I have three questions.

Firstly who is developing this, is it only Tim or are there other members on the KOTF team?
Secondly what is this file: Moddb.com Doesn't this allow you to play the mod?
Thirdly what about the demo at the game conference? Looks pretty real to me?

Edited by: INtense!

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Jun 15 2007 Anchor

I think this sums it up pretty clearly.

I never said that it will be ready for download on 25th so there is no need for wise-talk. its my project and i will release it whenever i want. i have no financial gain out of this, i have neither a donation system nor ad-banners so if you do not have respect for the effort then you have no right to be here.

From what i can see the models and maps look genuine.
Id say he’s just upset with people bickering and making a fuss.

BrokenTripod
BrokenTripod Mapping now =O
Jun 15 2007 Anchor

...Why is it that like...3+ people have only posted on the forums specifically to respond to this topic? Does that strike anyone else as..suspicious?

Err.

Yeah. Was going to say it looked like they signed up, but I checked, they're all pretty old (a few exceptions) and the ips are all different, so I guess it's fine.

Personally, I'm now thinking this topic is a way to build up hype for the mod, possibly to scam more people =O?

I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist, though.

Jun 15 2007 Anchor

I don't know. His refusal to answer innocent enough questions just struck me as very suspicious. That, and you don't exactly need a $2000 rig to run JA. I could understand needing to buy more ram and a new vid card for the rendering part of the operation but now a whole new top of the line pc?

The video just has some shots of what looks like regular deathmatch using custom models. I don't think I saw anything new.

It's been months since he's said the game was finished and all he was doing was translating the menu in another language (which I thought was very considerate of him). But it really is dragging out now. I have also seen a claim that he was reverse engineering the source code which, according to the fellow who claimed it; was never released and so obtained illegally. I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion so I'm not saying I agree or disagree as I don't know much about game coding.

He has been pushing the release date back since I don't know when. The first poster here said it was scheduled for a march 1st released. That a pretty solid date. He didn't just say March or early sping. He gave a specific date (and continues to do so).

I will genuinely feel bad for him if the mod IS released and delivers on what it promises and if the models and maps DO belong to him. However no one can blame the naysayers. He has given them enough reasons to naysay.

ambershee
Jun 15 2007 Anchor

If it's being looked into, I'd suggest reading through this topic and contacting the administrators there - they'd have been watching KoTF from the start.
Forums.gamefront.com

I should point out regardless of my stance on this topic, that it is possible to make singleplayer JKA mods, and could point out that I've done it myself in the past - in fact in 24 hours as many of you will recall; Imperials! - A Mod in a Day. That mod replaced a number of NPCs and other characters throughout the singleplayer game and did a number of other things. It is also entirely possible to change animation systems, and add maps to create a new singleplayer game.

Jun 15 2007 Anchor

Yes, the link ambershee has provided is the original thread I read about the possibility of this mod being a hoax. Even a moderator had this to say:

"Re: kotf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "demo" was a total of half an hour's work, tops, none of which was his, and was apparently the most he could offer after four years of working on a mod (none of which was his own work, by the way) that claimed to do things which weren't even possible.

The few things that were his work were dead basic things which any moron can do in ten minutes, such as taking someone else's model and adding it to the species menu.

By the way, I removed the link over spyware concerns from those downloads. Ever since that demo installer tried to perform an application hijack some core Windows components, I've lost all trust in it. So, call it a public safety issue if you must."

That post was by kouen and it's on page three. Everyone there seems pretty convinced that the mod was supposed to be released on march 1st. It's kind of funny reading their comments just prior to and ON march 1st. Like watching children on Christmas morn.

Kouen makes another really good point on page 9 post #126.

And finally, please see the moderator's post. The final one on the final page. It pretty much sums up all the arguments so you don't have to wate your time skimming through all 22 pages. It was about damn time too, as it got to the point where a lot of the arguments were just being repeated by different people lol.

Anyway, I hope this helps sum things up for you.

(There are arguments FOR kotf peppered throughout the thread too but they are relatively few.)

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.