Forum Thread
Concept Art Competition WIP (Forums : Pimpage & Posing : Concept Art Competition WIP) Locked
Thread Options 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 30
INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Oct 11 2007 Anchor

Napoleon Bonaparte once said "Un bon croquis vaut mieux qu'un long discours," or "A good sketch is better than a long speech". We tend to agree with him, great ideas do come from great artwork and the creative minds of concept artists who dream up many of the characters and scenes we face in games today. And that is why we want you to show us why a picture is worth a thousand words in our Concept Art Competition.

Mod DB, The Art Institute Online and Alienware challenges you to bring forth your single most striking, awe inspiring and breathtaking original game art. Bring us your best work... the rendering you are most proud of... the one you show to anyone you want to consider you as a "game artist"... the one you would like the world to see.

Join in for the chance to win prizes and have your creation shown to both the community and a panel of judges from the Art Institute.

The theme of your concept art must be chosen from the 7 different options below:

• Noir
  • The Warlord
  • Riot Control
  • Alien Experiment
  • The Chemical Man
  • War on the Water
  • Intergalactic Space Opera
ConceptArt

AlienwareX2Prize

Work in Progress shots are to be proudly shown off here. Final submissions are to be emailed to awards@moddb.com. Only one entry is allowed per-person, so make sure it is your best work. Please read all the RULES before proceeding so you don't... screw up!

For more information about the competition, the prizes, how it is judged, rules and so on please read the detailed feature.

You have until midnight on the 20th November to get your entry in... so get started and best of luck to all participants!

Edited by (in order): INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!, INtense!

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

Oct 11 2007 Anchor

/gathers pens pencils and sketchbook.
xD

--

DrZais
DrZais A Wing And A Prayer
Oct 11 2007 Anchor

Yay.
No scanner for me at the moment, so I'll have to tablet it and as that has lost pressure sensitivity its rather crap.
But it ought to be fun anyway.

--

ACHTUNG SCHWINEHUND!
User Posted Image
Forums =-= Profile
zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Oct 12 2007 Anchor

I cannot really decide on a topic. Between Warlord and Space Opera. But spaceopera has been done on CGTalk, and i am overinfluenced by it. Although... why not a Warlord from a Space Opera...
Will post stuff if anything good comes out of it.
Good lick Hatebreed and DrZais!

--

INtense!
INtense! End Boss
Oct 12 2007 Anchor

I added "war on the water" to the theme list. I love water-based artwork and noticed it was missing so added it!

--

Scott Reismanis
DBolical | @scottreismanis

migb
migb Idea Generator 1.0
Oct 12 2007 Anchor

zenarion wrote: I cannot really decide on a topic. Between Warlord and Space Opera. But spaceopera has been done on CGTalk, and i am overinfluenced by it. Although... why not a Warlord from a Space Opera...

I think I'll try to merge as many of the topics into the concept as humanly possible.

Then modify it to something that works, later. ;)

--

Convicted hypocrite

Read the Guidelines for the forum.

Narbacular drop was the tech-demo. Portal was the game.

Dragonlord
Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Oct 12 2007 Anchor

Not sure if I give this one a try. I'm not the worst when it gets down to drawings but I doubt it's anywhere enough for here... but I would have an idea for something to draw :D ... I'll have to sleep over that.

Oct 12 2007 Anchor

Sweet. I am definitely getting in on this. Great topics too. :)

Oct 13 2007 Anchor

yay! i was looking forward to something - anything - like this!!!

tacoo
tacoo cupcake man
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

What does "Noir" mean?

--

|>>>"critisism"<<<|
|>>>"cookies"<<<|>>>"portfolio"<<<|
|>>>"311"<<<|
--------------------------------------------

Dragonlord
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

French for black.

Oct 13 2007 Anchor

lol

It's meant to be Film Noir ;P

--

tacoo
tacoo cupcake man
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

I know what Noir means (Sin City anyone?) but what does it mean in terms of concept art?

--

|>>>"critisism"<<<|
|>>>"cookies"<<<|>>>"portfolio"<<<|
|>>>"311"<<<|
--------------------------------------------

migb
migb Idea Generator 1.0
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

Hmm... according to wikipedia Aliens 3 is film noir.
Not sure I would have applied that label to aliens 3.

--

Convicted hypocrite

DrZais
DrZais A Wing And A Prayer
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

I can see how that label might've been applied to Alien, not so sure about Aliens 3...

tacoo wrote: I know what Noir means (Sin City anyone?) but what does it mean in terms of concept art?

I think the point is to interpret it how you want.
Take it literally and draw in black and white, use the film noir concept and go for a scene bogart would've been proud to make an appearance, or whatever else you fancy.

--

ACHTUNG SCHWINEHUND!
User Posted Image
Forums =-= Profile
Dragonlord
Oct 13 2007 Anchor

So for example I could interprate "Noir" as sort of "dark, shady, night" and such? That's what my idea went for.

myles
myles Woah.
Oct 14 2007 Anchor

Ooow i cant draw but what the hell :D

I was wondering what did ya meen by Intergalactic Space Opera, so like somone dancing vin a spaceship -_- ??

--

Portfolio

Error: The operation completed successfully.

Wraiyth
Wraiyth That Guy Who Does Those Things With The Stuff
Oct 14 2007 Anchor

Wonder if I can win with a stick figure...

AngryTrooperXXX
AngryTrooperXXX Advanced Argumented Super Soldier
Oct 14 2007 Anchor

Did I win yet? User Posted Image

--

Aurgumentations: 1.5X Faster 2X Stronger 2.5X Smarter 1.8X Reflexes
Armour:Advanced HEV Suit w/ Titanium Plating w/ Advanced Gas Mask and High Powered Shield
Ground Vehicle: Advanced Titanium Plating Buggy w/ Mounted High Powered Electro Beam Gun
Water Vehicle: Advanced Hovercraft w/ Mounted Sabot Armour Piercing Rounds AK-47
Air Vehicle: Titanium Gunship w/ 5 Mounted Pulse Rifles, 2 mounted bomb chambers, 1 Ultra Advanced High Powered Anti Armour Electro Beam gun
Weapon: M203 launcher on a wooden stick (lol?)

Radcliff
Radcliff void CUser::Radcliff()
Oct 14 2007 Anchor

LOL!! Sure, why not? :)

zombieOnion
zombieOnion Non-Player Character
Oct 14 2007 Anchor

myles wrote: Ooow i cant draw but what the hell :D

I was wondering what did ya meen by Intergalactic Space Opera, so like somone dancing vin a spaceship -_- ??

Space Opera is a fiction genre. It is science-fiction with larger-than-life characters, events on a huge scale triggered and controlled by people. You might say that Star Wars is a space opera. Dune is also a space opera. Foundation is a space opera.

En.wikipedia.org <--- lurk moar

--

migb
migb Idea Generator 1.0
Oct 15 2007 Anchor

zenarion wrote: Dune is also a space opera. Foundation is a space opera.

Nope, according to the wiki page you linked, Dune is a "planetary romance", due to most events taking place on a single planet only.
You will need space travel in a space opera.

Edited by (in order): migb, migb

--

Convicted hypocrite

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Oct 15 2007 Anchor

Dune takes place on several planets.

migb
migb Idea Generator 1.0
Oct 15 2007 Anchor

Oh, I forgot to specify "the first three Dune novels".
Right, there is the "HQ planet of the empire" and then there is Dune (a while since I read the novels), possibly a few other planets.
But the travel in space need to have a degree of focus for the story to qualify as space opera, which Dune doesn't.

BTW contributors might be interrested in this definition: En.wikipedia.org

Edited by (in order): migb, migb

--

Convicted hypocrite

ambershee
ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks
Oct 15 2007 Anchor

The first two (Dune, Dune:Messiah) are largely set on Arrakis, this is true.

Anyway, this is mostly irrelevant to the topic at hand :lol:

Reply to thread
click to sign in and post

Only registered members can share their thoughts. So come on! Join the community today (totally free - or sign in with your social account on the right) and join in the conversation.